Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A minor breeder's permit shall be obtained by:
(1) A person who intentionally or inadvertently participates in or permits the breeding of a cat or dog or makes a cat or dog available for breeding purposes; or
(2) A person who offers for sale, sells, exchanges, transfers, receives compensation for or gives away any litter of dogs or cats; with the exception of a litter of puppies or kittens relinquished to the Department; or
(3) An owner or harborer of a dog or cat which has delivered a litter or who has caused the delivery of a litter, chooses not to relinquish the animal to the Department and also elects not to have the animal surgically sterilized, shall cause such animal to be implanted with a microchip and shall register such animal within 30 days of following the date of notice requiring such procedure from the Department; or
(4) An owner or harborer who fails to relinquish to the Department any dog or cat whose litter has been relinquished to the Department and does not surgically sterilize the animal shall obtain a microchip and register the animal within 30 days following the date of relinquishment; or
(5) An owner or harborer having custody of a dog or cat which has been surgically sterilized within ten weeks after giving birth to a litter or who relinquishes the dog or cat to the Department within ten weeks following the birth date of the litter; or
(6) An owner or harborer of a dog or cat which has delivered a litter, who chooses not to relinquish such animal to the Department and also chooses not to have such animal surgically sterilized;
(7) Such persons shall be required to purchase a minor breeder's permit in accordance with the requirements of this chapter and shall pay the minor breeder's permit fee, plus any applicable kennel/cattery permit fee.
(B) The person described in division (a) above shall:
(1) Be permitted to breed only one dog or one cat which produces only one litter of puppies or kittens in a 12 month period in such person's domestic household or any other domestic household; and
(2) Be prohibited from offering for sale, selling, exchanging, transferring, receiving compensation for or giving away more than one litter of puppies or one litter of kittens in a 12 month period; with the exception of a litter of puppies or kittens relinquished to the Department; and
(3) Furnish the Department with such information on the birth of each litter of puppies or kittens as may be required to register such litter with the Department and to be assigned a litter number; and
(4) Register with the Department the name, address, and telephone number of each recipient of any puppy or kitten sold or transferred within five days following the date of sale or transfer; and
(5) Provide the recipient of such puppy or kitten the litter number of the animal received and the minor breeder's permit number to confirm the breeding and sale of such puppy or kitten in compliance with the requirements of the this chapter; and
(6) Immunize all cats and dogs offered for sale, exchange, transfer, or giveaway, with the exception of an animal(s) relinquished to the Department, against common disease: for dogs, against canine distemper, adeno-virus parainfluenza, parvovirus, coronavirus, and leptospirosis; and for cats, against feline rhinotracheitis-calici, and panleucopenia; and
(7) Not offer a puppy or kitten for sale, exchange, transfer or giveaway in violation of § 91.078; and
(8) Provide an unqualified health warranty for such puppy or kitten for a period of not less than ten days following the date of delivery which warranty shall include a recommendation to have such puppy or kitten examined by a state licensed veterinarian within such health warranty period.
(1) The owner or harborer of a dog or cat which has been altered within ten weeks after birthing a litter or who relinquishes such animal to the Department within ten weeks following the delivery date of the litter, shall be required to purchase a minor breeder's permit for $10; or
(2) The owner or harborer of a dog or cat that has delivered a litter, who neither relinquishes the animal to the Department nor alters the animal, shall be required to purchase a minor breeder's permit for $100; and
(3) Any applicable kennel/cattery permit fee.
(D) All permits will be issued under this section only after inspection and approval by the Department, provided all other requirements of this chapter are met.
(E) A late fee will be assessed for a permit renewal that is in excess of 30 days beyond the expiration date. A permit reinstatement fee will be assessed when requesting re-inspection for approval after a revocation of a permit has occurred.
(Ord. G-23-18, passed 9-25-18)