Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Free roaming cats without acceptable identification which have been impounded or trapped in the community may be deemed a potential community cat by the Department and/or partnering animal welfare organization based on age, health, and behavior. Such cats may be transferred to partnering animal welfare organizations for reintegration back into the community or placement in a barn cat program.
(B) A cat identified as an existing community cat may be immediately returned to the community and exempted from the legal hold period as provided in § 91.107.
(1) The Department may impound community cats which are public nuisances, diseased, or not thriving due to loss of resources, and disposition the cats in accordance with this chapter.
(C) The Department shall coordinate with partnering animal welfare organizations and/or veterinarians to offer resource information for establishing opportunities for community cats, community cat providers, humane deterrents, and advice regarding community cat nuisances.
(D) A community cat provider shall comply with § 91.033(B), the administrative rules issued by the Department and the requirements of this division (D).
(1) Confine free roaming cats and arrange for surgical sterilization, ear tipping, and vaccination for rabies by a licensed veterinarian, microchipping and documentation of the foregoing with the Department prior to release back to the community;
(2) Seek veterinary care for or obtain assistance from an animal welfare organization or the Department for community cats which appear to require medical attention for serious illness or injury;
(3) Make reasonable effort to work with the Department or partnering animal welfare organization to resolve nuisance complaints using humane deterrents and/or removal of community cats identified as a public nuisance; and
(4) Community cat providers found to be in violation of this chapter or managing an excess number of community cats as determined by the Department may have their community cat provider designation revoked at the discretion of the Department.
(E) It shall be unlawful to provide food, water, or shelter to free roaming cats in excess of 30 days unless the provider presents acceptable documentation showing implementation of the requirements of a community cat provider.
(Ord. G-23-18, passed 9-25-18) Penalty, see § 91.999