Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) All owners of improved residential real estate and owners of improved nonresidential or business real estate utilizing the city's contractor shall pay an annual service charge for the collection and disposal of waste as follows:
(1) The owners of improved real estate consisting of one dwelling unit, an annual service charge of $96 shall be levied for a maximum of six containers per unit per collection.
(2) The owners of improved real estate consisting of two or more dwelling units, an annual service charge of $96 per unit shall be levied for a maximum of six containers per unit per collection.
(3) The operator of any business, partnership, association, or corporation, operating a business using waste containers with a maximum capacity of 50 gallons, or as otherwise provided by the waste contractor, shall pay an annual service charge of $96 for a maximum of six containers per collection. Operators of businesses using more than six 50 gallon capacity waste containers, or as otherwise provided by the waste contractor, who are unable to utilize a dumpster-type waste container system, shall pay an annual service charge to be determined on the basis of volume and weight by the City Administrative Officer.
(4) The owners of improved real estate or operators of businesses, where dumpster-type waste collection containers are utilized which are compatible with the contractor's equipment as determined by the Director of General Services, an annual service charge shall be levied in accordance with the following schedule:
From September 1, 2019 through August 31, 2021
Residential curbside $167.00
Commercial curbside (once per week) 206.00
Commercial curbside (twice per week) 370.00
Commercial 95 gallon waste wheelers 370.00
2 cu. yd. container 908.00
3 cu. yd. container 1,242.00
4 cu. yd. container 1,596.00
6 cu. yd. container 2,065.00
8 cu. yd. container 2,574.00
(5) In those instances where the operator of a business enterprise maintains his personal dwelling unit in the same building with a business enterprise owned and operated by the same, the operator of a business shall pay a service charge for the collection and disposal of waste as determined by the City Administrative officer as provided for under subdivisions (3) and (4) above.
(B) The annual service charge imposed by this section shall be levied against the business operator or property owner of record as of January 1 of each year.
(C) The City Treasurer is hereby authorized and directed each year to forward to each business operator and/or improved real estate owner of record, a notice indicating the amount of the service charge and the terms and conditions of payment.
(D) The annual service charge set forth in this section shall be due and payable on or before October 31 of each year. All annual service charges remaining unpaid after October 31 of each year shall be deemed delinquent and subject to penalty and interest. Beginning November 1 through December 31, add 5% penalty; beginning January 1, add 10% additional penalty; and there will be an 8% per annum interest from November 1 until the fee is paid.
(E) The City Treasurer is hereby authorized and directed to pay into the General Fund of the city any excess funds derived from the collection of the service charge imposed by this section after all costs of the waste collection and disposal services have been met.
('83 Code, § 94.15) (Ord. O-22-76, passed 6-21-76; Am. Ord. O-11-82, passed 8-2-82; Am. Ord. O-8-92, passed 6-15-92; Am. Ord. O-11-94, passed 8-1-94; Am. Ord. O-6-96, passed 6-17-96; Am. Ord. O-18-97, passed 7-7-97; Am. Ord. O-20-98, passed 8-4-98; Am. Ord. O-16-99, passed 8-2-99; Am. Ord. O-20-01, passed 9-4-01; Am. Ord. O-15-02, passed 6-17-02; Am. Ord. O-24-2005, passed 9- 6-05; Am. Ord. O-30-2007, passed 9-17-07; Am. Ord. O-16-2009, passed 9-8-09; Am. Ord. O-16- 2010, passed 9-20-10; Am. Ord. O-16-2011, passed 9-19-11; Am. Ord. O-12-2013, passed 8-5-13; Am. Ord. O-17-2015, passed 9-8-15; Am. Ord. O-13-2019, passed 8-19-19)