Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The manufacturing use districts are designed to provide land for a wide range of commercial and industrial activities subject to limitations intended to protect nearby residential and commercial districts and to protect the permitted uses from one another. The Manufacturing District consists mainly of areas occupied by or suitable for manufacturing, wholesale or other industrial activities, all of a non- nuisance type.
(A) Minimum requirements for lot area, width and setback.
Lot area: 10,000 SF
Lot width: 100'
(1) When abutting a residential district, the side yard shall be 35'.
(2) In all cases where the side yard is adjacent to a side street, the side yard shall not be less than 15 feet.
(B) See § 155.023 for supplemental district regulations and exceptions and parking requirements applying to the M-1 district.
(C) See § 155.060 (D) and (E) for temporary use permits that may be granted by the Board of Adjustment, and specific use permits that may be recommended by the City Planning Commission within the M-1 District under certain circumstances and conditions.
(D) Parking regulations and permitted uses.
(1) If a use that is permitted in the Residential, C-1 or C-2 Districts is established in the M-1 District, the parking requirements for that use shall be the same as required for that particular use in the district in which the use is specifically permitted.
(2) In the M-1 District, manufacturing, industrial and processing establishments, repair shops, warehouses, and storage buildings, in addition to providing off-street facilities for the loading and unloading of merchandise and goods, shall provide one off-street parking space for each 1,000 square feet of general floor space, and one off-street parking space for each 400 square feet of office floor space.
(3) In the M-1 District, no land shall be used and no building shall be erected for or converted to any use other than:
Any use permitted in the R-1, R-2, R-3, C-1 and C-2 districts except that no building shall be erected or converted for dwelling purposes, provided, however, that dwelling quarters may be established in connection with any industrial plant for watchmen and caretakers employed on the premises and provided further that any existing dwelling within the M-1 District may be repaired or altered
Advertising displays manufacture
Automobiles, motorcycles, trucks or trailers, including parts, or rebuilding of engines
Baseball park, commercial
Batching or mixing plant, Portland cement, concrete, mortar or plaster, commercial
Bait store, live
Boats, building or repair
Books, binding, other than hand binding
Bottling works, for all beverages
Brooms or brushes
Cameras or other photographic equipment and film
Carpets manufacture and cleaning
Ceramics, stone, glass, marble and porcelain products
Electrical appliances, equipment assembly, supplies or similar products including electrical machinery
Electrical power generating station
Food products, not including meat products or fish products, the slaughtering and/or preparation thereof
Furniture and upholstery
Heavy equipment, storage, repair and sales, earth moving
Ice, dry or natural
Junk handling or storage, enclosed by an opaque wall of fence 6' feet in height including automobile wrecking, salvaging, and assembling of iron, rags and similar materials
Jute, hemp, sisal or oakum products
Machines, business, including typewriter, accounting machines, calculators, card-counting equipment or similar products
Machinery, miscellaneous, including repairs
Machine tools, including metal lathes, metal presses, metal stamping machines, woodworking machines or similar products
Mattresses, including rebuilding or renovating
Musical instruments, including pianos or organs
Orthopedic or medical appliances, including artificial limbs, braces, supports, stretchers or similar products
Paper products, including envelopes, stationery, bags, boxes, shipping containers, bulk goods, tubes, wallpaper printing or similar products
School, commercial or trade
Sporting or athletic equipment
Steel products, miscellaneous fabrication or assembly
Textiles, spinning, weaving, manufacturing, dyeing, bleaching, printing, knit goods, yard, thread or cordage
Tires, recapping or vulcanizing shop
Tools or hardware, including bolts, nuts, screws, doorknobs, drills, hand tools or cutlery, hinges, house hardware, locks, non-ferrous metal castings, plumbing appliances or similar products
Toys and novelty products
Vehicles, children’s, including bicycles, scooters, wagons, baby carriages or similar vehicles
Venetian blinds, window shades or awnings
(E) Other required conditions.
(1) Site plan. A site plan shall be submitted to and approved by the Building Official prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy and Compliance.
(2) Floor area. The floor area of any building or buildings on a lot in an M-1 District shall not exceed one and one-half times the number of square feet in the lot.
(3) Building area. The maximum allowable building area in the M-1 District shall not exceed 75% of the gross area of the lot or tract of land.
(4) Height regulation. No structure shall exceed 100 feet in height unless setback from the required yard lines an additional foot for each 4 feet in height above 100 feet.
(Ord. 1100 § 7.8, passed 4-3-64) Penalty, see § 155.999