Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Waterfront District W-3 consists mainly of area occupied by or suitable for port, harbor or marine related activities including the storage, transport and handling of goods, materials and cargoes as well as such manufacturing, industrial and commercial uses as may have a natural relation to such activities, uses and facilities.
(A) Minimum requirements for lot area, width and setback.
Lot area: 10,000 SF
Lot width: 100'
(1) When abutting a Residential District, the side yard shall be 35 feet.
(2) In all cases where the side yard is adjacent to a side street, the side yard shall not be less than 20 feet.
(B) See § 155.023 for supplementary district regulations and exceptions and parking requirements applying to the W District.
(C) See § 155.060 (D) and (E) for temporary use permits that may be granted by the Board of Adjustment, and specific use permits that may be recommended by the City Planning Commission within the W District under certain circumstances and conditions.
(D) Permitted uses and parking regulations.
(1) If a use that is permitted in the Residential, C-1, C-2, M-1, W-1 or W-2 District is established in the W-3 District, the parking requirements for that use shall be the same as required for the particular use in the district in which the use is specifically permitted.
(2) In the W-3 District shipping, manufacturing, industrial, transport, handling and processing establishment; repair shops; warehouses and storage facilities, in addition to providing off- street facilities for the loading and unloading of merchandise, goods and cargo, shall provide one off-street parking space for each 1,000 square feet of general floor space, and one off-street parking space for each 400 square feet of office floor space.
(3) In the W-3 District no land shall be used and no building or other structure shall be erected for or converted to any other use other than:
Permitted Uses (W-3)
Any use permitted in the R-1, R-2, R-3, C-1, C-2, M-1, W-1 or W-2 Districts except that no building shall be erected or converted for dwelling purposes, provided however, that dwelling quarters may be established in connection with any permitted use for security personnel and caretakers employed on the premises and provided further that any existing dwelling within the W-3 District may be repaired or altered.
Asphalt or asphalt products; storage, transportation and handling
Batching or mixing plant; concrete
Bottling works; for all beverages, including alcoholic
Brick, stone, tile or clay products; manufacturing and process
Cement, lime or plaster-of-paris; manufacturing and processing
Chemicals or petrochemicals, including but not limited to: acids, acetylene, aniline dyes, ammonia, ammonium sulfate, bleaching compounds, carbide, caustic soda, soda ash, cellulose, chlorine, carbon black or bone black, cleaning or polishing preparations, creosote, exterminating agents, hydrogen, oxygen, industrial alcohol, sugar, potash, plastic materials, synthetic resins or synthetic yarns; storage, transportation and handling.
Coal, coke, charcoal or tar products, including gas; storage, transportation and handling
Cotton ginning, cotton wadding or linters, cotton seed products manufacture, cotton baling or compress
Docks, wharves, slips, catwalks and appurtenant facilities for berthing and mooring of vessels and handling of cargoes; mobile cranes, conveyor systems, pipes, pumps and other facilities for loading and unloading barges, ships, boats, tugs and other types of vessels capable of engaging in marine related commerce, inland waterway and ocean-going traffic
Excelsior or packing materials; storage, transportation and handling.
Fertilizers, inert; storage, transportation and handling.
Gases or flammable liquids; storage, transportation and handling.
Gelatin, glue or size; storage, transportation and handling.
Grain; bagging, milling or processing, elevators.
Graphite or graphite products; storage, transportation and handling.
Gypsum; storage, transportation and handling.
Hair, leather, felt, fur or feathers; storage, transportation and handling.
Insecticides, fungicides, disinfectants or related industrial or household chemical compounds; storage, transportation and handling.
Livestock; temporary concentration, loading, unloading and shipping; auction sales.
Meat, poultry or fish products; storage, transportation and handling.
Metal alloys or foil, including solder, pewter, brass, bronze and tin, aluminum, lead or gold foil; storage, transportation and handling.
Metal, metal ores or metal products; storage, transportation and handling
Metal welding; storage, transportation and handling of casting and foundry products
Offices and similar facilities related to permitted uses in this district
Paint, enamel, lacquer, turpentine or varnish; storage, transportation and handling
Petroleum or petroleum products; storage, transportation and handling
Plastic and rubber products; storage, transportation and handling
Radio or television broadcasting transmitter or tower; microwave relay tower, lighthouses, beacons, navigation aids if related to ship-to-shore communications facilities
Shipyards, dry docks, marine railways and appurtenant facilities for the construction, repair, maintenance and servicing of ships, barges, boats, offshore drilling rigs, platforms and any other vessel, structure or vehicle that is reasonably necessary in offshore industries and water transportation
Soaps, detergents or perfumes; storage, transportation and handling
Water; storage, transportation and handling
Wood products; fiber or lumber milling; storage, transportation and handling
Wool; storage, transportation and handling
(E) Other required conditions.
(1) Site plan. A site plan shall be submitted to and approved by the Building Official prior to the issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy and Compliance.
(2) Floor area. The floor area of any building or buildings, or other structures in a W District shall not exceed one and one-half times the number of square feet in the lot or tract of land on which it is located.
(3) Building area. The maximum allowable building area in a W District shall not exceed 75% of the gross area of the lot or tract of land.
(Ord. 1100-HHH, passed 10-11-82; Am. Ord. 1100-000, passed 6-13-83; Am. Ord. 1100-PPPP, passed 6-17-85) Penalty, see § 155.999