Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The City Council shall appoint a City Planning Commission consisting of five (5) members who shall be residents in the City of Freeport while serving and for not less than six (6) months prior to being appointed, and who shall serve without compensation.
(a) Term of Office: The terms of office of all persons serving on the Planning Commission shall be established by ordinance adopted by the City Council.
(b) Rules of Procedure: The Commission shall elect, annually, one of its members chairman, and shall establish its own rules of procedure which shall include the following: A quorum shall consist of a majority of the members of the Commission and an affirmative vote of a majority of those present shall be necessary to pass upon pending questions, the chairman being entitled to vote upon any question. No member of the Planning Commission present at a meeting shall be excused from voting, and each member of the Planning Commission present at the meeting must announce his vote on questions, ordinances, or resolutions; provided however, a Commission Member shall be excused from voting whenever the subject matter under consideration involves his personal financial interests, and on this particular matter he shall not vote but shall give his reasons for not voting. All meetings shall be open to the public and a record of all proceedings shall be kept, which record shall be filed with the person performing the duties of City Secretary and shall be a public record. The annual election of the chairperson shall take place in June of each year or whenever all vacant positions have been filled, whichever is later.
(c) Vacancies: Membership on the Planning Commission shall be accompanied by active participa- tion in the activities of the Commission, and any member who is absent from three (3) consecutive regular meetings of the Commission, shall auto- matically be dismissed from membership. The Commission shall at once notify the City Council that a vacancy in the Planning Commission exists. Vacancies occurring in the Commission, for whatever reason, shall be filled within thirty (30) days by appointment by the City Council for the remainder of the unexpired term.
(d) Powers and Duties: The Commission shall have the power and shall be required to:
(1) Make recommendations for the amendment, extension and additions to the master plan for the physical development of the City;
(2) Approve or disapprove plats of proposed subdivisions submitted in accordance with Section 8.01 of this Charter. In considering such plats, the Planning Commission shall require that the proposed subdivision shall meet, so far as is practicable, all the standards of layout and street and sidewalk construction on comparable property within the corporate limits of the City of Freeport, and shall further require that restrictions be placed on the use of the property which are consistent with the restrictions on comparable property within the City of Freeport. Upon approving such plats, and before they are released for recording, the Planning Commission shall submit all copies of the approved plats to the City Council for its approval or disapproval;
(3) Draft, and recommend to the City Council for adoption, an official map of the City and recommend or disapprove proposed changes in such map;
(4) Make, and recommend to the City Council for adoption, a zoning plan and recommend or disapprove proposed changes in such plan;
(5) Make, and recommend to the City Council for adoption, plans for the clearance and rebuilding of slum districts and blighted areas which may develop within the City;
(6) Compile and recommend to the City Council for adoption, a building code, which code shall include the minimum standards of construction for building, the minimum standards for plumbing and the minimum standards for wiring;
(7) Advise and recommend to the City Council traffic regulations for the City;
(8) Meet not less than once each month; meetings to be held at the Municipal Courtroom of the Municipal Court and Police Department Building, unless otherwise indicated in the posted notice for such meeting;
(9) Perform such other duties and be vested with such other powers as the City Council shall from time to time prescribe.
(e) Liaison with City Council: The City Manager or his representative shall attend the meetings of the Planning Commission and shall serve as liaison between the Planning Commission and the City Council.
(Res. No. 1129, Props. 7, 8, 4-7-79; Amendment adopted by electorate 5-7-94; Amendment adopted by electorate 5-13-06; Amendment adopted by electorate 5-8-10; Amendment adopted by electorate 5-12-12)