Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The board of appeals shall have all the powers and duties prescribed by law and by the zoning regulations of this code, which powers and duties are more particularly specified as follows:
A. Interpretation: Upon appeal from a decision by an administrative official, to decide any question involving the interpretation of any provision of the zoning regulations, including determination of the exact location of any district boundary if there is uncertainty with respect thereto.
B. Special Permits: To issue special permits for any of the uses for which the zoning regulations require the obtaining of such permits from the board of appeals, or for the extension of a building or use as such existed at the effective date of said regulations into a contiguous more restrictive district for a distance not exceeding fifty feet (50'), but not for any other use or purpose. No special permit shall be granted by the board of appeals unless it finds that:
1. The use is listed in the zoning regulations as a special permitted use; and
2. All provisions of the zoning regulations governing the issuance of such permits are followed exactly.
C. Variances: To vary or adopt the strict application of any requirements of the zoning regulations, provided no variance in the strict application of any provision thereof shall be granted by the board of appeals unless it finds that:
1. There are special circumstances applying to the land or buildings for which the variance is sought, which circumstances are peculiar to such land or buildings in the vicinity;
2. Said circumstances are such that the strict application of the provisions of the zoning regulations would deprive the applicant of the reasonable use of such land or building;
3. The variance as granted by the board of appeals is the minimum variance that will accomplish the reasonable use of the land or building in question;
4. The granting of the variance will be in harmony with the general purpose and intent of the zoning regulations and will not be injurious to the neighborhood or otherwise detrimental to the public welfare. In granting any variance, the board of appeals shall prescribe any conditions that it deems to be necessary or desirable, such conditions to include among others: a) that the variance shall be used only for those purposes as stated in the variance as granted, and b) that said variance shall be used within one year from the date said variance was granted, and c) in the event said variance is not used within such time limit, the variance as granted becomes null and void and all conditions of the zoning regulations applying to the property in question previous to the granting of said variance are in full force and effect.
D. Zoning Of Annexed Areas: To recommend to the village board, at least ten (10) days previous to the passage of any ordinance annexing parcels to the village, the district classification to be given to any parcels annexed to the village.
E. Rules And Regulations: To adopt such rules and regulations as may be deemed necessary from time to time to carry into effect the provisions of the zoning regulations. (Ord., 10-2-1967)