Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Creation: The Zoning Board of Appeals of the Village is hereby created in accordance with Illinois Statutes and title 2 of the Village Code.
B. Jurisdiction And Authority: The Zoning Board of Appeals is hereby vested with the following jurisdiction and authority:
1. Hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by the Building Commissioner in the enforcement of this zoning ordinance.
2. Hear applications for variations from the terms provided in this zoning ordinance in the manner and subject to the standards set forth in this zoning ordinance.
3. Hear and decide such other appeals as are specifically designated for Zoning Board action in this zoning ordinance. (Ord. 2009-18, 8-11-2009)
4. Grant additional time for, or permit extension of, a nonconforming use, or grant a variation for structural alterations, improvements or enlargement of a legal nonconforming building. (Ord. 2019-01, 1-22-2019)
C. Exercise Of Power: The Zoning Board of Appeals shall exercise its powers as follows:
1. In exercising such powers, the zoning board may reverse or affirm, wholly or in part, or may modify the order, requirement, decision or determination appealed from and may make such order, requirement, decision or determination as ought to be made, and to that end shall have all the powers of the building commissioner from whom the appeal is taken.
2. In the granting of an appeal or variation, the zoning board may impose such conditions and restrictions upon the premises involved as may be considered necessary in the specific case to eliminate or minimize the adverse effects of such use on other property in the vicinity, and to better carry out the intent and purpose of this ordinance. Failure to comply with all the conditions and restrictions imposed in the granting of the appeal or variation shall constitute a violation of this ordinance.
3. When acting on any appeal, the zoning board shall first determine that granting of the appeal will not impair an adequate supply of light and air to adjacent property, unreasonably increase the congestion in public streets, increase the danger of fire or endanger the public safety, unreasonably diminish or impair established property values within the surrounding area, or in any other respect impair the public health, safety, comfort or welfare of the inhabitants of the village. (Ord. 2009-18, 8-11-2009)