Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. It is unlawful for any person to sell, manufacture, purchase, possess or carry any bludgeon, black-jack, slung-shot, sand-club, sand-bag, metal knuckles or other knuckles weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas subject to the following exceptions:
1. The provision of paragraph 1. of subsection A. of this Section prohibiting the sale, manufacture, purchase, possession, or carrying of any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, does not apply to a person who possesses a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card previously issued in his or her name by the Department of State Police or to a person or an entity engaged in the business of selling or manufacturing switchblade knives.
B. It is unlawful for any person to carry or possess with the intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dangerous knife, razor, broken bottle, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character.
C. It is unlawful for any person to carry or possess in any vehicle or concealed on or about their person except when on their own land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, or other firearm, unless the weapon meets one of the following exceptions:
1. The weapon is broken down in a non-functioning state; or
2. The weapon is not immediately accessible; or
3. The weapon is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid firearm owner's identification card; or
4. The weapon is carried or possessed in accordance with the Firearm Concealed Carry Act by a person who has been issued a valid license under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act.
D. No person shall in any part of the Village fire or discharge any pistol, revolver, or other firearm; except, that the discharge of firearms by members of any military organization when on parade, and in accordance with the orders of their commanding officer, or by any public officer, or other person, in the discharge in any legal duty or lawful act, when the same may be done in such manner as not to endanger the safety of any innocent person, or injure any property, shall not be deemed a violation of this section. (Ord. 2017-39, 9-12-2017; amd. Ord. 2019-41, 10-22-2019)