Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Veteran's preference points are provided only on the entrance examinations for the City of Forest Park and the Winton Woods School District. An applicant who has served in the military is eligible for the addition of extra points to his/her passing examination score if he/she meets one (1) of the following conditions:
(1) The applicant has served on active military duty for more than one hundred eighty (180) days in the Armed Forces (other than the Reserves or National Guard) and has been discharged or released from the military under honorable or general conditions;
(2) The applicant has served on active military duty as a member of a Reserve component during a period of war or in an expedition for which a campaign badge was authorized and has been discharged or released from the military under honorable or general conditions; or
(3) The applicant was a member of a Reserve component of the U.S. military (including Army or Air National Guard) who served on active military duty for a period of more than one hundred eighty (180) consecutive days any part of which occurred after September 11, 2001, and was discharged or released for such duty under honorable or general conditions.
(4) If an applicant meets one of the conditions as stated in division (1), (2), or (3) above, and is able to document his/her eligibility as stated, five (5) points will be added to his/her final passing examination score.
(5) Any applicant who has established veteran status as defined above, and who has the present existence of a service- connected disability rated ten percent (10%) or higher, as determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs or by the applicable military service, may be eligible for disabled veteran's preference points. A total of ten (10) points will be added to the applicant's final passing score if he/she documents their eligibility.
(6) Applicants who wish to be awarded veteran's preference points or disabled veteran's preference points must complete the military service box on the employment application at the time it is filed. Proof of military service or disability must be submitted to the Commission Secretary on or before the date of the written test. Proof of military service or disability will not be accepted after the written test starts. Acceptable documentation of proof of military service is as follows:
(a) A Form DD214, indicating the branch or service, character of discharge and enlistment dates; or
(b) A Service Information Letter or comparable documentation which certifies the applicant's military dates and discharge status from the Veterans Administration Office, 420 North James Road, Columbus, Ohio 43219; (614) 388-7014.
(c) Disabled veterans only must also submit, in addition to the DD214 form, an award letter from the Department of Veterans' Affairs or applicable military service, stating the percent of service-connected disability.
(Am. Ord. 04-2012, passed 5-7-12; Am. Ord. 17-2016, passed 12-5-16)