The city council may contract with some humane person as animal control officer, with an adjoining municipality or with the county for the purpose of providing suitable premises and facilities to be used by the city as the animal pound. It shall be maintained in some convenient location and shall be sanitary and so operated as to properly feed, water and protect the animals from injury. (1979 Code § 13-251; amd. 1998 Code)