Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A separate guard dog permit application must be made for each commercial property where guard dogs are to be used or where dogs are to be kept, boarded, bred, sold, let for hire, or trained for a fee for guard dog purposes. Procedures for permit application, for inspection of guard dog facilities, and for issuance of guard dog identification tags, will be established by the Animal Control Officer.
(B) Permits may be transferred to a new location operated by the same business firm during the permit year. However, such transfers shall not be effective until the Animal Control Officer has inspected and approved the required facilities at the new location and the information required below for permit applications has been recorded. Advance notification of 3 working days to the Animal Control Officer shall be required for permit transfers.
(C) Guard dog permit applications shall include the following information:
(1) The business name, address and telephone number of the commercial property where guard dogs are to be used;
(2) The name, address and telephone number of the dog's handler who can be reached at any time during the day or night;
(3) The number of dogs to be used and a general description of their use;
(4) The location where dogs are to be housed; and
(5) Any other information that the Animal Control Officer reasonably deems necessary for the enforcement and administration of this section. Permit holders shall immediately notify the Animal Control Officer if any information recorded as part of the permit application is changed during the course of the period for which the permit is issued.
(D) An Animal Control Officer shall inspect the facilities where the guard dog is to be used and housed at the time the guard dog permit is applied for and when it is renewed.
(E) If the inspection reveals that the requirements of this section are met, an annual permit fee, in an amount as set forth in the fee ordinance, for each approved commercial property shall be paid to the city and a special guard dog identification tag shall be issued by the Animal Control Officer for each dog. The permit shall be displayed at the approved commercial property and an identification tag shall be affixed to the collar for each dog used. Nothing in this section shall exempt guard dogs from any of the other provisions of this subchapter. The Animal Control Officer shall establish the limit on the number of guard dogs permitted at any1commercial property.
(F) Each permit shall be valid from the date of issuance until the 31st day of December of the year for which the permit was issued.
(G) Each permit must be obtained prior to housing or utilizing guard dogs at the commercial property.
(H) Each dog covered by this section shall be issued a tag varying in color from the standard city license tag. Said tag shall be attached to the collar or harness of the dog at all times and shall bear the words "guard dog" or "attack dog."
(I) The premises in which such dog is confined shall be conspicuously posted on all sides with warning signs bearing letters not less than 2 inches in height, stating "Guard Dog on Premises."
(Ord. 599, passed 9-6-2005) Penalty, see § 91.999