(A)   It shall be unlawful for any person except in a medical research project under institutional supervision, circus, amusement park or zoo, to possess or maintain any wild animals in the city without obtaining a wild animal permit and paying the fee therefore as set out in the fee ordinance.
   (B)   A permit for the possession of a wild animal shall only be issued to:
      (1)   A zoo open to the public;
      (2)   A bona fide research institution or licensed laboratory;
      (3)   Educational researchers belonging to a bona fide educational or research society approved by the City Manager or his or her designee;
      (4)   An individual or a nonprofit animal rehabilitation organization permitted by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department;
      (5)   A public or private primary or secondary school; or
      (6)   An animal exhibition, rodeo, or circus of which the animal is an integral part.
   (C)   No permit shall be issued for any venomous or exotic constricting (including but not limited to, boas, anacondas, or pythons) snakes or any poisonous animal. This section shall not apply to an individual or nonprofit organization described in division (B)(4) of this section, but only to the extent authorized by such Texas Parks and Wildlife permit.
   (D)   The issuance of any wild animal permit shall not relieve the holder of such permit to comply with the city's zoning ordinance or any other ordinance, regulation or law.
   (E)   The permit is valid for1year from the date of issuance.
   (F)   No wild animal permit is required for any wild animal that is in the city limits less than 12 hours.
(Ord. 599, passed 9-6-2005)  Penalty, see § 91.999