Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Any person who discharges any firearm, target gun, or air gun, or shoots any slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow within city limits shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor.
(B) This section shall not apply to:
(1) A shooting range facility or paintball course for which a valid, current City of Ferris-issued certificate of occupancy has been issued for such use at the facility’s location;
(2) A starter pistol used as part of a City of Ferris or Ferris ISD-approved sporting event;
(3) A firearm, target gun. air gun. slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow used at a City of Ferris or Ferris ISD-approved event or performance;
(4) The discharge of blank cartridges used in a theatrical performance or as part of an official military honors ceremony or event; or
(5) A firearm, target gun, air gun. slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow used by a government official in the discharge of official duties.
(C) For the purpose of this section, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
ARCHERY. The art, sport, or skill of shooting with a bow and arrow.
FIREARM. Any weapon, including pistols, rifles, and shotguns, or device as defined in Tex. Penal Code § 46.01(3), as currently written or as may be amended, the current definition being any device designed, made or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance, or any device readily convertible to that use.
SHOOTING RANGE FACILITY. A public or private, indoor or outdoor facility, including individual shooting ranges, safety fans or shot-fall zones, structures, parking areas, and other associated improvements, designed for the purpose of providing a place for the discharge of various types of firearms or the practice of archery. This definition does not include incidental target practice areas on private property.
(Ord. O-16-816, passed 6-6-2016) Penalty, see § 130.99