Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A Municipal Court Building Security Fund shall be maintained by the city in accordance with Tex. Code of Crim. Pro., § 102.017, as amended.
(B) All defendants who are convicted of misdemeanor offenses in the municipal court of record shall pay a security fee of $3 for each offense as a cost of court.
(C) A person is considered convicted if:
(1) A sentence is imposed on the person;
(2) The person receives community supervision, including deferred adjudication;
(3) The court defers final disposition of the person’s case.
(D) The municipal court clerk shall collect the costs and pay them to the municipal treasurer, or to any other official who discharges the duties commonly delegated to the municipal treasurer, for deposit in a fund to be known as the Municipal Court Building Security Fund.
(E) The Municipal Court Building Security Fund may be used only to finance items when used for the purpose of providing security services for buildings housing the municipal court of record, including:
(1) The purchase or repair of x-ray machines and conveying systems;
(2) Handheld metal detectors;
(3) Walkthrough metal detectors;
(4) Identification cards and systems;
(5) Electronic locking and surveillance equipment;
(6) Bailiffs, deputy sheriffs, deputy constables, or contract security personnel during times when they are providing appropriate security services;
(8) Confiscated weapon inventory and tracking systems;
(9) Locks, chains, alarms, or similar security devices;
(10) The purchase or repair of bullet-proof glass; and
(11) Continuing education on security issues for court personnel and security personnel.
(F) The Municipal Court Building Security Fund shall be administered by, or under the direction of, the City Council.
(Ord. O-15-801, passed 8-17-2015)