Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Appointment. The office of Chief Building Official is hereby established. The Chief Building Official shall be appointed by the City Manager as a regular, full-time, salaried employee.
(B) Powers. The Chief Building Official shall be the head of the Code Compliance Department of the city. The Chief Building Official shall have the power and shall be required to do the following:
(1) Enforce the provisions of all building codes, zoning ordinances, parking regulations, health, safety, and nuisance ordinances of the city, and any other city ordinance of similar purpose (the “city codes”).
(2) Delegate powers to persons employed for the purpose of enforcing such ordinances.
(3) Where it is necessary to make an inspection to enforce the provisions of the city codes, enter the structure or premises at reasonable times to inspect or to perform the duties imposed by the city codes; provided, however, that if such structure or premises are occupied, credentials shall be presented to the occupant and entry requested. If such structure or premises are unoccupied, the Chief Building Official shall first make a reasonable effort to locate the owner or other person having charge or control of the structure or premises and request entry. If entry is refused, the Chief Building Official shall have recourse to all remedies provided by law to secure entry.
(C) Authority and duties. The Chief Building Official shall have the following authority and duties:
(1) The Chief Building Official shall have the authority to render interpretations of the city codes and to adopt policies and procedures to clarify the application of code provisions. Such interpretations, policies and procedures shall be in compliance with the intent and purpose of the city codes. Such policies and procedures shall not have the effect of waiving requirements specifically provided for in the city codes.
(2) The Chief Building Official shall receive applications, review construction documents, issue permits for the erection, alteration, demolition, and moving of buildings and structures, inspect the premises for which such permits have been issued, and enforce compliance with the provisions of the city codes.
(3) The Chief Building Official shall issue or cause to be issued all necessary notices, orders, citations, and any other legal remedy as prescribed by state law to ensure compliance with the city codes.
(4) The Chief Building Official shall make all of the required inspections or shall have the authority to accept reports of inspection conducted by approved agencies or individuals. Reports of such inspections shall be in writing and shall be certified by a responsible officer of the approved agency or by the responsible individual. The Chief Building Official is authorized to engage such expert opinion as may be deemed necessary to report upon unusual technical issues that arise, subject to the approval of the appointing authority.
(5) The Chief Building Official shall keep official records of applications received, permits and certificates issued, fees collected, reports of inspections, and notices and orders issued. Such records shall be retained in the city’s official records for the period required for retention of public records.
(6) The Chief Building Official shall perform any other duties as may be required by the city codes or required by the City Council, not inconsistent with the city codes or applicable law.
(Ord. O-15-786, passed 2-17-2015)