Skip to code content (skip section selection)
ORDINANCE NO. 20 - 02
AN ORDINANCE OF FARR WEST CITY, UTAH AMENDING TITLE 2, CHAPTER 2.08 OF THE FARR WEST CITY MUNICIPAL CODE
WHEREAS, the Farr West City Council finds it is necessary to revise Title 2, Chapter 2.08 of the Farr West City Municipal Code to clarify eligibility for and conformance with the requirements of the Utah Retirement System.
NOW THEREFORE, it is hereby ordained by the Farr West City Council that Title 2, Chapter 2.08 of the Farr West City Municipal Code be amended as follows:
Section 1. Chapter 2.08.070, paragraphs A and C are amended to read as follows:
A. Employee Classification:
1. All city employees will be classified as either "exempt" or "nonexempt" per requirements of the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
2. For purposes of participation in the Utah Retirement System (URS) and in accordance with the requirement of Section 49-13-203(5) of the Utah Code, elected, appointed and non-merit protected employees who are eligible for participation in the URS are eligible for exemption from participation in the URS.
1. Eligible employees will be enrolled in and shall participate in the Utah State Retirement System in accordance with Title 49, Utah Code Annotate.
2. In addition to participation in the URS, for employees eligible for participation in the URS, the city will match employee contributions to a state approved retirement plan up to and including a maximum of five percent (5%) of the employee’s annual gross salary.
3. The City Recorder and Treasurer are designated as Tier 2 elected and appointed officials and are eligible for participation in the URS. All other elected and appointed officials are considered ineligible part time (averaging less than 20 hours per week over the course of a year) and are therefore not eligible for participation in the URS.
4. Employees who are not eligible for participation in the URS, shall participate fully in Social Security.
5. All other Tier 2 elected and appointed officials who are not eligible for participation in URS or coverage under Social Security are not eligible for retirement benefits from the City.
Section 2 This ordinance shall take effect upon its adoption and publication or posting by the City Council of Farr West City, Utah this __20______ day of ____February_______________, 2020.