Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The City of Fairlawn hereby adopts the International Property Maintenance Code 2018 Edition as may be amended from time to time hereinafter referred to as IPMC published by the International Code Council as modified in this Section.
(a) Section 101.1 of the IPMC is herein modified to read: These regulations shall be known as The Property Maintenance Code of the City of Fairlawn, hereinafter known as 'this Code.'
(b) Section 102.3 of the IPMC is herein modified to read: Application of other Codes, repairs, additions or alterations to a structure, or changes in occupancy, shall be done in accordance with the procedure and provisions of the State of Ohio Codes as adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards. Nothing in this Code shall be construed to cancel, modify or set aside any of the provisions of the charter and codified ordinances of the City of Fairlawn hereinafter referred to as Fairlawn Code.
(c) Section 103.5 of the IPMC is hereby modified to include the following fee schedule:
(1) Rental unit registration fees as found in Fairlawn Code Section 1504.05(g); and
(2) Building and zoning permit fees as found in Fairlawn Code Chapter 1238.
(d) There is hereby created new Section 106.6 of the IPMC to read as follows: Repeat Offender Penalty. Persons that repeat any violation within any six (6) month period shall be assessed an administrative penalty as specified in Fairlawn Code Section 1520.01 as though it was a non-compliance as covered in that Section.
(f) Section 201.3 of the IPMC is herein modified to read as follows: Where terms are not defined in this Code and are defined in any of the State of Ohio Codes as adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards, such terms shall have the meanings as ascribed to them in those Codes.
(g) Section 302.4 of the IPMC is hereby amended as follows: All premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds or plant growth in excess of eight (8") inches. All other provisions of Section 302.4 of the IPMC shall remain unchanged.
(h) Section 303.1 of the IPMC is hereby amended to include: “The water within the pool, spa, or hot tubs shall at all times meet the requirements of the Summit County Health Department for human use.”
(i) Section 304.7 of the IPMC is amended to include: “Roof repairs shall consist of materials that substantially match in color to the existing materials on the roof.”
(j) Section 505.1 of the IPMC is hereby amended to read as follows: “General. Every sink, lavatory, bathtub or shower, drinking fountain, water closet or other plumbing fixture shall be properly connected to either a public water system or to an approved private water system. All kitchen sinks, lavatories, laundry facilities, bath tubs and showers shall be supplied with hot or tempered and cold running water in accordance with the State of Ohio Plumbing Code, as adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.”
(k) Section 702.1 of the IPMC is hereby amended to read as follows: “General. A safe, continuous and unobstructed path of travel shall be provided from any point in a building or structure to a public way. Means of egress shall comply with the Ohio Building Code as adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.”
(l) Section 702.2 of the IPMC is hereby amended to read as follows: “Aisles. The required width of aisles in accordance with the Fire Code shall be unobstructed.”
(m) Section 702.3 of the IPMC is hereby amended to read as follows: “Locked Doors. All means of egress doors shall be readily openable from the side from which egress is to be made without the need for keys, special knowledge or effort except where the door hardware conforms to that permitted by the Ohio Building Code as adopted by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.”
(n) Section 704.1 of the IPMC is hereby amended to read as follows: “Inspection, testing and maintenance. Fire detection, alarm and extinguishing systems, mechanical smoke exhaust systems, and smoke and heat vents shall be maintained in accordance with the Fire Code in an operative condition at all times, and shall be replaced or repaired where defective.”
(o) Chapter 8 of the IPMC as herein modified to include: The Rules and Regulation of Summit County Public Health.
(p) Chapter 2 shall be amended to include the following definitions:
(1) Outdoor - shall mean in the open air, not inside a building or structure, of or relating to the outdoors, not enclosed: having no roof.
(2) Storage - shall mean a space or place for storing.
(3) Outdoor Storage - shall include any site or use of land that, includes the storage outside of a completely enclosed building for a continuous period longer than twenty-four hours. This definition shall not apply to lumber, construction materials or equipment, which is intended for use within 30 days in construction or renovation on the premises. This definition shall not apply to any lumber, construction materials, or equipment, which is intended for use in construction or renovation on the premises for which there exists an active building permit. This definition shall not apply to any object in an enclosed building or so located upon the premises as not to be readily visible from any public place or street or adjacent property. This definition shall not apply to firewood that is neatly stacked.
(q) Section 302.10 Outdoor Storage is hereby created and shall read as follows: No person who owns or is in possession of, in charge of or in control of any property shall store, deposit, scatter or keep outdoors on the premises in any residential area any of the following: lumber, scrap metal, construction materials, machinery components, equipment, appliances, furniture not designed and intended for exterior use, yard maintenance equipment, or any similar object which is not clearly intended for outdoor use on the premises.
(r) Section 107.3 of the IPMC is hereby amended to read as follows: Method of Service. Such Notice shall be deemed to be properly served if a copy thereof is:
(1) Delivered personally;
(2) Sent by certified mail, commercial carrier service using delivery requiring signed receipt or first-class mail addressed to the last known address; or
(3) If the notice is returned showing that the letter was not delivered by any of the above-listed methods, a copy thereof shall be posted in a conspicuous place in or about the structure affected by such notice.
(Ord. 2006-076A. Passed 9-18-06; Ord. 2006-100. Passed 12-18-06; Ord. 2014-011. Passed 3-10-14; Ord. 2016-023A. Passed 4-18-16; Ord. 2016-034. Passed 4-18-16; Ord. 2018-004. Passed 2-5-18; Ord. 2021-037. Passed 9-7-21.)