Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Chief Executive Officer: The mayor shall be the chief executive officer of the town; he/she shall be responsible to the electors for the administration of all town affairs placed in his/her charge by the charter, law, ordinance or resolution.
B. Duties: The mayor shall:
1. Enforce laws, ordinances and resolutions.
2. Perform other duties required of him/her by law, ordinance or resolution.
3. Direct, supervise and administer all departments, agencies and offices of the town except as otherwise provided by law or the charter.
4. Carry out policies established by the commission.
5. Prepare the commission agenda.
6. Preside at all meetings of the commission.
7. Make recommendations to the commission.
8. Call a general town meeting during the second quarter of the fiscal year to report on the affairs and financial condition of the town.
9. Execute bonds, notes, contracts and written obligations of the commission subject to the approval of the commission.
10. Report to the commission as the commission may require.
11. Attend, preside over and take part in commission meetings, but may not vote.
12. Prepare and present the budget to the commission for its approval and execute the budget adopted by the commission.
13. Appoint a town clerk-treasurer with the approval (majority plus one) of the commission.
14. Appoint, suspend and remove all employees of the town except as otherwise provided by law, the charter or ordinance. Employees appointed by the mayor and his subordinates shall be administratively responsible to the mayor.
15. Have the power to veto ordinances and resolutions, subject to override by a majority plus one of the whole number of the commission.
16. Have the power to form advisory councils and appoint members to advisory councils with the approval of the commission. (Prior Code § 2.02.080)