Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Obstructions Prohibited; Exemption:
1. No person shall in any manner whatsoever obstruct any public street, alley, parkway, sidewalk, curbing or parking, or direct, place, operate or maintain any business or any equipment, materials or supplies pertaining thereto in or upon the same.
2. This section shall not apply to outdoor cafes permitted under title 3, chapter 5 of this code.
B. Signboards, Structures: No person shall in any manner whatsoever erect or maintain any sign or signboard, building, structure, billboard, or any equipment pertaining to any business in or upon any of the public streets, alleys, boulevards, parkways, sidewalks or curbing; provided, however, nothing herein shall affect the erection or use of overhead signs in compliance with the sign ordinances of the city.
C. Nuisance Declared: All apparatus, equipment, materials or supplies pertaining to any business; and all curb gasoline filling stations and pumps; and all signs, billboards and other structures erected or maintained in violation of this section are hereby declared to be a public nuisance and shall be removed as provided herein.
D. Notice To Remove Obstruction:
1. The building official shall provide written notice to the owner, operator, lessee or person maintaining an obstruction upon any of the public streets, sidewalks, parking or curbs as herein prohibited. The notice shall require such person to remove the obstruction within three (3) days of the receipt of said notice.
2. Upon the failure of such person to remove the obstruction, the city shall have the authority to abate said nuisance and remove the same at the expense of the person maintaining it.
3. Nothing in this section shall be construed to permit any obstruction or to prevent prosecution for violation of subsection A or B of this section prior to the giving of such notice. (1994 Code § 30-1; amd. 2003 Code)