Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Permit required. Except as otherwise provided in this code, no person may obstruct or excavate any right-of-way, or install or place facilities in the right-of-way, without first having obtained the appropriate right-of-way permit from the city to do so.
(1) Excavation permit. An excavation permit is required by a registrant to excavate that part of the right-of-way described in such permit and to hinder free and open passage over the specified portion of the right-of-way by placing facilities described therein, to the extent and for the duration specified therein.
(2) Obstruction permit. An obstruction permit is required by a registrant to hinder free and open passage over the specified portion of right-of-way by placing equipment described therein on the right-of-way, to the extent and for the duration specified therein. An obstruction permit is not required if a person already possesses a valid excavation permit for the same project.
(3) Small wireless facility permit. A small wireless facility permit is required by a registrant to erect or install a wireless support structure, to collocate a small wireless facility, or to otherwise install a small wireless facility in the specified portion or the right-of-way, to the extent specified therein, provided that such permit shall remain in effect for the length of time the facility is in use, unless lawfully revoked.
(B) Permit extensions. No person may excavate or obstruct the right-of-way beyond the date or dates specified in the permit unless:
(1) Such person makes a supplementary application for another right-of-way permit before the expiration of the initial permit; and
(2) A new permit or permit extension is granted.
(C) Delay penalty. In accordance with Minn. Rules part 7819.1000 subp. 3 and notwithstanding division (A)(2) of this section, the city shall establish and impose a delay penalty for unreasonable delays in right-of-way excavation, obstruction, patching, or restoration. The delay penalty shall be established from time to time by City Council resolution.
(D) Permit display. Permits issued under this chapter shall be conspicuously displayed or otherwise available at all times at the indicated work site and shall be available for inspection by the city.
(Ord., passed - -)