Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Landscaping Adjacent To Public Right Of Way:
1. A ten foot (10') wide landscaped strip shall be established along the street frontage adjacent to the public rights of way between the street property line and any buildings, parking area, loading areas, or storage areas on the property.
2. Where required or permitted building setbacks conflict with the location of said landscaped strip, the required landscaping along the frontage may be modified or located elsewhere, upon approval of the building inspection department.
3. One tree and three (3) shrubs shall be planted in this landscaped strip for every thirty feet (30') of street frontage. Clustering of such trees and shrubs is permitted, provided no tree shall be within five feet (5') of another. For each twelve (12) square feet of vegetative ground cover provided, the above shrub requirement may be reduced by one shrub. Upon approval of the city, a portion of the required trees and shrubs may be placed in the right of way adjacent to the property.
4. An area where cars park abutting the landscaping strip adjacent to rights of way, such landscaped strip shall have an additional two (2) shrubs for each car space abutting thereon. An area where a masonry screening wall or berm thirty inches (30") in height is provided, this shrub requirement may be reduced by one shrub for each car space so screened. The shrub requirement may also be reduced by one shrub for each abutting car space by increasing the required landscaped strip from ten feet (10') to fifteen feet (15') or more in width.
5. The slope of any earth berm shall not exceed a ratio of one to two (1:2) and shall be treated with a suitable ground cover to prevent soil erosion.
6. That portion of the required landscaped strip not landscaped with trees, shrubs or vegetation ground cover shall be landscaped with ground cover or other approved landscape treatment.
B. Landscaping Abutting Residential Properties:
1. A five foot (5') wide landscaped strip minimum shall be maintained along any property lines of parcels developed for multi-family, commercial, or industrial uses which are adjacent to, or separated only by an alley from, any residential use or district. Required accessways from alleys into parking areas shall be excluded from this requirement.
2. A minimum of one tree and one shrub shall be planted in this landscaped strip for each twenty feet (20') of adjacent property line. Clustering of such trees is not permitted unless such trees are in addition to the minimum number required. Existing mature landscaping to be retained may be accepted in lieu of this requirement, if such landscaping substantially complies with the above requirement.
3. Where a parking lot or vehicular accessway of a multi-family, office, commercial or industrial use is adjacent to or separated only by an alley from any residential use or district, a masonry wall six feet (6') in height is required to separate the two (2) uses. Required accessways from an alley into parking areas shall not be included in this requirement. An area where required masonry screening walls would adjoin the front yard of the adjacent residential use or district, the required wall shall be thirty six inches (36") in height.
4. The portion of the required landscaped strip not landscaped with trees, shrubs or vegetative ground cover, shall be landscaped with ground cover or other approved landscape treatment.
C. Landscaping Of Interior Of Parking Areas:
1. For every ten (10) required parking areas or portion thereof, a minimum of one tree and two (2) shrubs shall be provided within the interior of the parking area. Trees located in the interior of the parking area shall have a clear trunk of at least five feet (5') to afford adequate vehicular clearance. Shrubs located in the interior of the parking areas shall not exceed three feet (3') in height.
2. Landscaped areas, unless otherwise approved, shall contain a minimum of fifty (50) square feet and shall have a minimum width of at least five feet (5').
3. That portion of the required landscaping in the interior of parking areas not landscaped with threes, shrubs, or vegetative ground cover shall be landscaped with ground cover or other approved landscape treatment.
D. Landscaping Of Multi-Family, Mobile Home And Recreation Vehicle Open Space Areas: Apartments, condominiums and other multi-family developments shall provide a minimum of one tree and two (2) shrubs in the common or open space areas for each dwelling unit.
E. Large Landscape Users: If the potential developer is a large landscape user (over 10,000 square feet total landscaped area), the plan shall show not more than twenty percent (20%) high water use vegetation in the landscaped area in excess of ten thousand (10,000) square feet.
F. Hotel Or Motel: If the potential developer is a hotel or motel, and has over twenty thousand (20,000) square feet of total landscaped area, the plan shall show not more than twenty percent (20%) high water use vegetation in landscaped area in excess of twenty thousand (20,000) square feet.
G. Treatment Of Remaining Areas: All remaining area exceeding the large landscape developer limitations listed in this section shall be exclusively in vegetation chosen from the low water plant list, appendix V-D, Pinal second management plan. (Ord. 91-357 § 1, 12-9-1991)