Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The town has the authority under I.C. 9-21-1-2a to adopt by ordinance traffic regulations with respect to streets and highways under its jurisdiction so long as they do not conflict with or duplicate the provisions of a state statute.
(B) The town, with respect to streets and highways under its jurisdiction and within the reasonable exercise of its police power, has the authority under I.C. 9-21-1-3 to:
(1) Regulate the standing or parking of vehicles;
(2) Regulate traffic by means of police officers or traffic-control signals;
(3) Regulate or prohibit processions or assemblages on the highways;
(4) Designate particular highways as one- way highways and require that all vehicles thereon be moved in one specific direction;
(5) Regulate the speed of vehicles in public parks;
(6) Designate any highway as a through highway and require that all vehicles stop before entering or crossing the same;
(7) Designate any intersection as a stop intersection and require all vehicles to stop at one or more entrances to that intersection;
(8) Restrict the use of highways as authorized in I.C. 9-21-4-7;
(9) Regulate the operation of bicycles and require their licensing, including requiring a registration fee;
(10) Regulate or prohibit the turning of vehicles at intersections;
(11) Alter the prima facie or maximum speed limits as authorized in I.C. 9-21-5;
(12) Adopt traffic regulations governing traffic control on public school grounds when requested to do so by the governing body of a school corporation; and
(13) Adopt other traffic regulations as are specifically authorized by I.C. 9-21-1 or other provisions of the Indiana Code.
(C) An ordinance or traffic regulation adopted under divisions (B)(4) through (B)(12) above shall be effective when signs giving notice of such a traffic regulation are posted upon or at the entrances to the highway or part of the highway affected, as may be most appropriate.
(D) The town has and may exercise any additional powers and authority to adopt traffic-control regulations and other regulations with respect to streets and highways within the town as have been granted by state statute or regulation.
(1985 Code, § 440-10) (Ord. 79-5, passed 1-21-1980)