Any person who has been employed by the City for a period of ninety days or more and who enlists, is commissioned or is called into the armed forces of the United States as a result of any act of Congress, action of the President of the United States or his status in any reserve force, national guard or other similar organization may, upon his release, make application for restoration to his former office or position. Such application shall be made within ninety days after receipt of an honorable discharge, certificate or other evidence showing satisfactory completion of his period of service.  Within thirty days after making such application the applicant shall be restored to the office or position held by him immediately prior to his entry into the armed services of the United States provided such person is at such time physically able to perform the duties of his office or position.
(1967 Code 171.09)