Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Appointment. The Village Clerk shall be appointed by the Village President with the concurrence of at least four of the Board of Trustees then holding office. The Clerk shall serve until his or her successor is elected and qualified.
(B) Bond. The Village Clerk shall, before entering upon his or her duties of his or her office, execute a bond to the village, paid for by the village, in the penal sum of $50,000 with such sureties as the Board of Trustees shall approve conditioned for the faithful performance of the duties of his or her office.
(C) Duties. The Village Clerk shall, in addition to the duties now imposed upon him or her by law, perform the following duties:
(1) The Clerk shall give notice of special meetings of the Board of Trustees to the members and the Village Attorney.
(2) The Clerk shall attest all licenses granted under the ordinances of the village and he or she shall keep a record of the issuance thereof.
(3) The Clerk shall, without delay, deliver to the President all ordinances or resolutions in his or her charge, which are required to be approved or otherwise acted upon by the President, together with all papers on which the same are founded.
(4) The Clerk shall collect all monies due from any licenses issued pursuant to village ordinances and deliver the same to the Village Treasurer within one week after receiving the same and take his or her receipt therefor.
(D) Filing of ordinances. The original of all ordinances passed by the Board of Trustees shall be filed in the Clerk’s office and he or she shall be the custodian of the same.
(E) Recording ordinances.
(1) The Village Clerk shall record and index all ordinances hereafter adopted in a book to be known as the Ordinance Book, giving a number to each ordinance adopted by the Board of Trustees.
(2) At the foot of the record of each ordinance so recorded, the Clerk shall make a memorandum of the date of the passage and publishing of the ordinance.
(F) Salary. The Village Clerk shall be compensated in an amount as set by the Board.
(G) Deputy Village Clerk. The Village Clerk may appoint one Deputy Village Clerk, subject to the Village Board’s approval, as necessary to discharge the functions and duties of the office of the Village Clerk. The Deputy Village Clerk is hereby permitted to perform such other acts incidental to carrying out said position, and to perform any other duties under the direction and supervision of the Village Administrator. The Deputy Village Clerk shall be compensated in an amount as set, and approved, by the Village Board.
(1981 Code, § 3.02) (Am. Ord. 84-02, passed 4-2-1984; Am. Ord. 94-17, passed 7-5-1994; Am. Ord. 05-04, passed 2-7-2005; Am. Ord. 06-02, passed 1-3-2006; Am. Ord. 06-10, passed 4-17-2006; Am. Ord. 09-13, passed 6-15-2009; Am. Ord. 13-07, passed 3-18-2013)