Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose. The major purpose of this overlay district is to establish a district in the rural parts of the City that is for agricultural uses, landscape nurseries, forest lands and privately-owned recreational uses, such as golf courses, and similar activities. This section is established pursuant to Ord. 25.02, passed by the City Council on 7-10-2000.
(B) Permitted uses. Permitted uses in the R-S District include:
(1) Agriculture, including farm crops, and farm and agricultural related buildings* and structures (but not residential dwellings), subject to the state’s pollution control standards, but not including feedlots, manure spreading, livestock management or other commercial or industrial operations; and
(2) Essential services.
* Farm and agriculture-related buildings existing (but not residential dwellings) at the time a property is first included in the Rural Service District may continue to be utilized for agricultural purposes. Existing buildings and structures may be repaired or replaced, if destroyed by wind or fire, but may not be expanded. No permit shall be granted to construct any new or additional buildings or structures.
(C) Accessory uses. Permitted accessory uses include: private garages; parking spaces and carports; fences; decorative landscape features; recreational equipment (including swimming pools and tennis courts); and tool houses or sheds for storage of domestic supplies.
(D) Conditional uses.
(1) Conditional uses in this district are subject to the following requirements:
(a) A conditional use permit is applied for based on procedures set forth in § 154.022 of this chapter;
(b) Screening and landscaping in compliance with § 154.071 of this chapter shall be required;
(c) Off-street parking is provided in compliance with § 154.067 of this chapter; and
(d) Any other conditions deemed to be necessary to reduce possible adverse impacts by the development, as determined by the Planning Commission or City Council.
(2) Conditional uses in this district include: none.
(E) Prohibited uses. No animal feedlot or manure spreading shall be allowed within this district. No use which is permitted in the underlying district shall be allowed until the RS Zoning Overlay District is removed from the property.
(F) Registration of existing farm animals at the time of adoption of this chapter. Any farm animals kept or maintained within the City limits shall be registered with the City by no later than 4-1-2005. Thereafter, to the extent that existing farm animals are not registered with the City, all property within the City shall comply with the requirements of this chapter.
(G) Interim uses. The following are interim uses in a R-S Overlay District and require an interim use permit based upon procedures set forth in and regulated by § 154.026 of this chapter:
(1) Landscape nurseries or forest lands;
(2) Privately-owned recreational uses, such as golf courses, golf driving ranges and similar outdoor recreational activities that require relatively large amounts of land; and
(3) Maintenance and confinement of farm animals, which do not meet the definition of an “animal feedlot”.
(Ord. passed 3-20-2002, § 6)