Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose. The purposes of this section are:
(1) To prohibit the solicitation of gifts for personal pecuniary benefit;
(2) To limit gifts which may be made to city elected officials and employees; and
(3) To establish other gifting which is permissible.
(B) Solicitation. No city elected official or employee may directly or indirectly solicit any gift resulting in a pecuniary benefit to such elected official or employee.
(C) Gifts. No elected official or employee may accept or receive any gift, or multiple gifts from the same donor, having an annual aggregate value of $100 or more when:
(1) The gift reasonably appears to be intended to influence the official or employee in the exercise or performance of his or her official powers or duties;
(2) The gift could reasonably be expected to influence the official or employee in the exercise or performance of his or her official powers or duties; or
(3) The gift is intended as a reward for any official action on the part of the official or employee.
(D) This section does not prohibit any other gift, including:
(1) Gifts made to the city;
(2) Gifts from a person with a family or personal relationship with the officer or employee when the circumstances make it clear that the personal relationship, rather than the recipient's status as an elected official or employee, is the primary motivating factor for the gift;
(3) Gifts given on special occasions, such as marriage, illness, retirement, or death, which are modest, reasonable and customary;
(4) Unsolicited advertising or promotional material of little intrinsic value, such as pens, pencils, note pads, and calendars;
(5) Awards and plaques having a value of $75 or less which are publicly presented in recognition of service as an elected official or employee, or other service to the community; or
(6) Meals and refreshments provided when an elected official or employee is a speaker or participant at a job-related professional or educational conference or program and the meals and refreshments are made available to all participants.
(Ord. 2018-10, passed 5-15-2018)