Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Covered buildings. Building owners, whether public or private, shall provide and install at their own expense, rapid access key boxes for all newly constructed buildings not yet occupied or buildings currently under construction as well as for any existing building changing ownership or in which a new tenant will be occupying all or a portion of a building for which the following applies:
(1) The building is protected with an automatic sprinkler system equipped with a local or transmitted water flow alarm;
(2) The building is provided with any fire alarm system equipped with an outside audible/visible signaling device; or
(3) The building is provided with any fire alarm system where the alarm is transmitted to an off- site location or to the fire alarm center for the City Fire Department.
(B) Rapid response key boxes. Key boxes are to be provided by the building owner and shall contain the following:
(1) Keys to lock points of egress, whether in interior or exterior of such buildings;
(2) Keys to the locked mechanical rooms;
(3) Keys to the locked elevator rooms;
(4) Keys to the elevator controls;
(5) Keys to any fence or secured areas;
(6) Keys to any other areas that may be required by the Chief of the City Fire Department; and
(7) A card containing emergency contact people and phone numbers for such building.
(C) Apartment buildings. Key boxes for apartment buildings are not required to contain keys to individual apartment dwelling units but a key shall be provided for the common area of the apartment building.
(D) Security caps. When a building is protected by an automatic sprinkler system or standpipe system and the Fire Department connection is exposed to undue vandalism, then the Chief of the City Fire Department may require that a Fire Department connection security cap be installed. The Fire Department connection security cap shall be a type approved by the Chief of the City Fire Department.
(E) Non-applicability to certain buildings. This section shall not apply to owner occupied one- and two-family dwellings, nor those buildings that have staffed 24-hour security.
(F) Effective date. This section shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage and publication required by law.
(Ord. 2007-6, passed 7-17-2007) Penalty, see § 91.99