Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) At the primary and general election to be held in 1994, and quadrenially thereafter, the County Board of Commissioners shall be composed of 7 members who shall reside in and represent the following districts:
(1) District 1: The mainland and Roanoke Island;
(2) District 2: Town of Nags Head and all of Bodie Island south to Oregon Inlet, Town of Kill Devil Hills and adjacent or nearby unincorporated areas to the west including, but not limited to Colington Islands and Baum Bay Harbor;
(3) District 3: Town of Kitty Hawk, Town of Southern Shores, all the remainder of Dare County west and north of the Town of Southern Shores;
(4) District 4: Hatteras Island; and
(5) District 5: All of Dare County.
(B) At the primary and general election to be held in 1994, and quadrenially thereafter, there shall be nominated and elected 1 Commissioner from each of the Districts 1, 2 and 5 as set out in division (A) of this section. At the primary and general election to be held in 1996 and quadrenially thereafter, there shall be nominated and elected 1 Commissioner from each of Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4 as set out in division (A) of this section.
(C) The candidate in the primary from each respective district shall be voted on by all of the qualified voters of the county, and the candidate from each respective district who receives the largest number of votes shall be declared to be the nominee of his or her party, duly nominated as the candidate for the district at the general election, and the candidates shall be voted on at the general election by all of the qualified voters of the county.
(D) The districts described in division (A) shall be shown on a map of the county on which the district lines are drawn which map is incorporated in division (A) of this section by reference. The map shall be entitled “Districts of Dare County for the Election of County Commissioners,” shall be dated the same date as adoption of this resolution and shall bear the original signature of the Chairperson of the Board of Commissioners. The map shall be filed with the Dare County Board of Elections and in the office of the Clerk to the Board of Commissioners.
(Prior Code, § 30.03) (Res. R92-2-3, passed 2-7-1992)