Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Unless otherwise specifically indicated herein, the following fees shall be due and payable in the offices of the Department.
(A) Estimated Cost. The term "Estimated Cost" as used in this section shall mean the reasonable value of all services, labor and materials entering into and necessary to complete the work. This shall include all costs to the owner.
(1) Verification of the estimated cost. The Department may, after performing its own cost estimate, ask for verification of the estimated cost and/or may have an independent party prepare an estimated cost. Work shall not proceed until an acceptable estimated cost is provided and a permit is issued. If costs are found to vary more than 50% from the original estimated cost provided, then the permit fees based upon the actual costs or independent estimate of the costs associated with the work shall be doubled.
(B) New construction, residential. Building permit fees for the construction of new single family or two family residential buildings shall be calculated at $0.10 per square foot.
Note: Square footage shall be calculated by measuring the outside dimension of the building and multiplying by the number of floors.
(C) Alterations, residential. Building permit fees for additions, alterations, remodeling or repair of any residential building shall be calculated according to the following schedule:
Estimated cost Fee
$0 - $3,000 $35
$3,001 - 50,000 $35 + $5 per $1,000 of value over $3,000
$50,001 - $1,000,000 $270 + $3 per $1,000 of value over $50,000
Over $1,000,000 $3,120 + $2 per $1,000 of value over $1,000,000
Note: These are accumulative fees and are exclusive of permit fees required for other permits, that is electrical, plumbing, etc. The minimum permit fee for any building permit shall be $35.
(D) New construction or alteration of all nonresidential buildings or structures. Building permit fees for these permits shall be calculated according to the schedule provided in division (C) above.
(E) Other accessory structures. Building permit fees for the construction or placement of other accessory structures for which a permit is required by the Building Code including fences, patios, decks, swimming pools, and sheds as well as sidewalks, driveways and parking lots shall be calculated according to the schedule provided in division (C) above.
(F) Permanent signs. Building permit fees for the construction or placement of any permanent sign shall be calculated according to the schedule provided in division (C) above. Temporary signs, as defined in Chapter 150, shall be subject to the fees as prescribed in Chapter 150.
(G) Demolition of building or structure. A permit fee for the demolition of a building or structure shall be calculated according to the schedule provided in division (C) above.
(H) Removal of building or structure. A permit fee for the removal of a building or structure from one lot to another is $200. Such permits shall be issued to a person, or company, properly bonded and licensed as home movers as provided in § 151.08.
(I) Installation of volatile tanks.
(1) A permit fee for the installation of all stationary gasoline, propane, fuel oil, or any other tank containing volatile liquids shall be calculated according to the schedule provided in division (C) above.
(2) No permit for the installation of volatile tanks shall be issued without approval from the Fire Department.
(J) Zoning permit/building permit. Each building permit issued must include a verification of proper zoning. A permit fee of $5 shall be charged for this verification.
(K) Mechanical work. Permit fees for work covered by the Mechanical Code shall be calculated at 1.5% of the total estimated cost of the equipment installation. The minimum permit fee for any mechanical permit shall be $40.
(L) Plumbing work.
(1) Permit fees for work covered by the Plumbing Code on any residential building shall be calculated based on the table below. The word "FIXTURES" as used in this section shall include every fixture or appliance listed in the Illinois State Plumbing Code of 2014 listed under fixtures or may be directly or indirectly connected by piping to plumbing system. The minimum permit fee for any plumbing permit shall be $40.
Each plumbing fixture $15
Each waste opening for
future use 15
Each water service 15
Backflow preventers 15
Installation of water heater 15
Water softeners and conditioners 15
Yard sprinklers 30
Existing sewer tap 60
Miscellaneous sewer repairs
or sewer replacement 60
(2) Plumbing work for a commercial building. Permit fees for work covered by the Plumbing Code shall be calculated at 1.5% of the total estimated cost of the equipment installation. The minimum permit fee for any plumbing permit shall be $40.
(M) Electrical work. Unless otherwise specifically noted, permit fees for electrical work covered by the Electrical Code shall be calculated according to the following schedule:
Estimated Cost Fee
Up to $50,000 3.5% of estimated cost ($40 minimum)
Over $50,000 $1,750 + 1% of estimated cost over $50,000
(N) Building plan review fees.
(1) A plan review fee for commercial, assembly, institutional, warehouse, hotel, motel, and multi-family building over two units, shall be as follows:
Square feet Fee
Up to 1,500 $ 150
1,501 to 25,000 500
25,001 to 50,000 2,000
More than 50,000 4,000
(2) If, in the discretion of the Department, review of International Code Council is deemed necessary, then the fee charged by International Code Council shall be added to the above captioned fees.
(O) Site plan review fees. For all activities requiring a site plan per § 150.185, the site plan review fee shall be as indicated below. The site plan shall be prepared and sealed by a design professional except as allowed below.
(1) For sites under 1 acre in size:
a. Plans prepared by and sealed by a design professional: $0.
b. Plans not prepared by and sealed by a design professional: $100.
(2) For sites greater than 1 acre but less than 5 acres in size: $100.
(3) For sites greater than 5 acres in size: $200.
(P) Certificate of Occupancy.
(1) The application fee for a certificate of occupancy when not applied for and granted in conjunction with another permit shall be $75.
(2) There shall be no application fee for a certificate of occupancy when other construction permits have already been applied for and issued as part of a use change at a location.
(3) A certificate of occupancy shall be obtained in compliance with Chapter 150 of the City Code.
(Q) Subdivision application fees.
(1) Minor Plat $125
(2) Major Plat $150 plus $5 per lot
(Ord. 7547, passed 10-1-91; Am. Ord. 8259, passed 8-6-02; Am. Ord. 8638, passed 3-3-09; Am. Ord. 8932, passed 4-1-14; Am. Ord. 9033, passed 2-2-16; Am. Ord. 9317, passed 4-6-21)