Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Enforcement of subpoenas.
(1) When anyone fails or refuses to obey a subpoena, the Commission shall authorize the Legal Division to prepare and file a petition for enforcement in the circuit court of the county in which the person to whom the subpoena was directed resides or has his or her principal place of business.
(2) Not less than five days before the petition is filed in the appropriate court, it shall be served on the person along with a notice of the time and place the petition is to be presented.
(3) Following the hearing on the petition, the circuit court shall have jurisdiction to enforce subpoenas issued by the Commission.
(B) Enforcement of Commission orders.
(1) When the Commission, upon being notified by the Division or an aggrieved party, concludes that any person has violated a valid order of the Commission issued pursuant to this chapter, and the violation and its effects are not promptly corrected, the Commission shall order the Legal Division to commence an action in circuit court for an order or judgment enforcing the order of the Commission.
(2) Upon the commencement of an action filed under division (B)(1), the court shall have jurisdiction over the proceedings and power to grant or refuse, in whole or in part, the relief sought or impose such other remedy as the court may deem proper.
(3) The court may stay an order of the Commission in accordance with the applicable supreme court rules, pending disposition of the proceedings.
(Ord. 7793, passed 11-7-95; Am. Ord. 9146, passed 5-1-18)