Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Human Relations Division of the city shall manage and effectuate the duties and functions provided in this chapter.
(1) The Human Relations Division shall be headed by a Director.
(2) The Director shall be appointed by the mayor with the advice and consent of the city council.
(3) The Director shall be an officer of the city and report to the mayor.
(C) The Division shall have the following powers and duties:
(1) Adopt, publish, amend and rescind rules and regulations for the conduct of its business;
(2) To issue, receive, investigate, conciliate, settle, and dismiss complaints filed in conformity with this chapter;
(3) To request subpoenas as it deems necessary for its investigations;
(4) To coordinate with the Legal Division in filing complaints with the Commission in conformity with this chapter;
(5) To seek temporary relief and to enforce orders of the Commission in conformity with this chapter;
(6) To recommend from time to time, for consideration and approval by the Commission and city council, programs for improvement of human relations in the city;
(7) To recommend equal employment opportunity and affirmative action policies, rules and regulations which specify plans, programs and reporting procedures;
(8) To establish and enforce minimum compliance criteria and procedures for evaluating equal employment opportunity and affirmative action programs and plans;
(9) To provide assistance and advice for the establishment and implementation of required programs; and
(10) To hold meetings with the head of each department of the city and, when necessary, any party to a public contract to:
(a) Review equal employment opportunity plans and any progress, performance and problems in meeting equal opportunity goals; and
(b) Recommend appropriate changes to the plans and procedures and the methods employed to implement the plans.
(Ord. 7793, passed 11-7-95; Am. Ord. 9146, passed 5-1-18)