Skip to code content (skip section selection)
8.02.01 Applicability. Unless otherwise expressly stated, the standards of this section apply to all of the following in all zones:
(A) The construction or installation of any vehicular use area.
(B) Any existing vehicular use area that is accessory to an existing principal building, if such building or any portion thereof is repaired or rehabilitated (including interior alteration and remodeling) and the cost of such repair or rehabilitation exceeds 150% of the property's assessed value;
(C) The repair, rehabilitation, or expansion of any existing vehicular use area, if such repair, rehabilitation, or expansion would increase the number of existing parking spaces by more than 25% or four spaces, whichever is less;
(D) Any existing vehicular use area which is accessory to an existing principal building, if such building or any portion thereof is expanded or enlarged and the expansion increases the existing floor area on the zoning lot by 50% or 5,000 square feet, whichever is less; and
(E) The excavation and reconstruction of an existing vehicular use area if such excavation and reconstruction involves the removal of 50% or more of the asphalt, concrete, or other pavement devoted to vehicular use. This provision does not apply to the resurfacing of asphalt or concrete or to emergency work on underground storage tanks if such work is intended to maintain the integrity and safety of such tanks and is subject to review under other federal, state, or local laws.
8.02.02 Perimeter Landscaping, Screening, and Fencing.
(A) Screening from Abutting Residential and Institutional Uses.
(1) The perimeter of all vehicular use areas larger than 1,500 square feet must be effectively screened from all abutting R-zoned property and from all abutting property that is improved with a hospital, nursing home, religious assembly, community center, school, college, or other similar institutional use.
(2) Such screening must consist of a wall, fence, or hedge not less than five feet in height and not more than seven feet in height.
(3) Screening fences must be masonry or wood and must be planted with vines. Chain-link fences are prohibited.
(B) Screening from Streets.
(1) The perimeter of all vehicular use areas larger than 1,200 square feet must set back at least seven feet from front and street side (corner) property lines and effectively screened from view of such street.
(2) The view of such vehicular use areas from all abutting streets must be visually screened either by permitted buildings (other than fences or walls) or by a hedge, not less than three feet in height and not more than 4.5 feet in height, or by a combination of buildings and hedges.
(a) This screening requirement is not to be interpreted as prohibiting the installation of or provision for openings reasonably necessary for access drives and walkways.
(b) Visual screening must be located between the perimeter of the vehicular use area and the front property line.
(c) Hedges used to satisfy the standards of this section must consist of individual shrubs with a minimum width of 24 inches, spaced no more than 36 inches on center.
(3) The remainder of the required seven-foot vehicular use area setback must be landscaped and must include at least one tree for every 25 linear feet of street frontage. Trees must have a minimum caliper size of 2.5 inches.
(4) Notwithstanding the other provisions of this zoning ordinance, the front or rear bumper overhang of vehicles parked within the vehicular use area may encroach upon the required front setback up to a maximum distance of two feet. This allowed overhang area may be included in the calculation of the required depth of each abutting parking space.
(C) Fences. Ornamental fencing is required to be installed along the perimeter of vehicular use areas adjacent to front and street side (corner) property lines and abutting any existing front yard of property located within an R zone.
(1) The required ornamental fencing must be installed behind the required perimeter landscape area, at least five feet from abutting property lines.
(2) Required fences are limited to a height of no more than 4.5 feet above grade unless the Zoning Administrator determines that the fence is necessary for security purposes, in which case the fence may be a maximum of six feet in height.
8.02.03 Interior Landscaping. All lots containing vehicular use areas with an area 3,000 square feet or more must provide interior landscaping in accordance with the requirements of this section.
(A) The area of interior landscaping must be equal to:
Area of Vehicular Use Area (square feet)
Minimum Interior Landscaped Area
3,000 - 4,500
5% of vehicular use area
4,501 - 30,000
7.5% of vehicular use area
More than 30,000
10% of vehicular use area
(B) Required interior landscaping must comply with the following standards:
(1) The area of setbacks and land- scaping provided to comply with the perimeter land- scape standards of § 8.02.02 may not be counted toward satisfying interior landscaping standards.
(2) Interior landscaped areas must be designed to enhance the appearance and safety of the vehicular use areas. Such areas must be reasonably dispersed throughout vehicular use area.
(3) Existing plant material may be counted towards satisfaction of this requirement.
(4) One tree must be planted for each 125 square feet of required interior landscape area. Trees must have a minimum caliper size of 2.5 inches.
(5) Existing trees that have a minimum caliper size of 2.5 inches may be counted towards satisfying interior landscaping requirements if such trees are preserved and adequately protected through all phases of construction. Each 2.5 caliper inches of any existing tree that is preserved will be deemed to be the equivalent of one 2.5-inch caliper tree.
(6) Each separate landscaped island or area must contain a minimum of 165 square feet of area, have a minimum dimension of eight feet in any direction, and include at least one tree. Within vehicular use areas with an area of less than 4,600 square feet, required trees may be installed along the perimeter of the vehicular use area instead of within interior islands.
(7) The trees required to be planted within interior landscaping areas must be canopy trees.
(8) The soil volume and composition for trees required within interior planting islands must have two-foot minimum depth and topsoil must be backfilled and mounded.
8.02.04 Landscape and Tree Protection. All required landscaping areas must be protected from vehicular encroachment by curbs or wheel stops. All trees must be installed and trimmed to ensure that no tree limb or portion thereof extends below the level of six feet above the ground.
8.02.05 Sight Triangles. Landscaping must comply with the sight triangle standards of § 9.01.
(Ord. O-37-06, passed 8-15-06)