Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Board of Examiners created. There is established a Board of Examiners for Police Officers and Firefighters.
(B) Composition of Board of Examiners; qualifications.
(1) The Board of Examiners shall consist of three members, who shall be selected and appointed by the Board of Commissioners.
(2) Each member of the Board of Examiners shall be a qualified voter of the city and shall have resided therein for at least two years prior to his or her appointment, or have practiced his or her occupation or means of livelihood therein for at least five years prior to his or her appointment.
(3) The term of office for the Board of Examiners shall be three years, but the term of office of members initially appointed shall be staggered at one-, two- and three-year terms.
(C) Termination of membership. Members of the Board of Examiners shall serve until incapacitated or upon resignation. The term of any member of the Board of Examiners may be terminated by the Board of Commissioners at any time. Upon the death or resignation of any member of the Board of Examiners, or if any member of the Board of Examiners fails for as long as seven days after written notification of his or her appointment to send his or her written acceptance of the appointment to the Board of Commissioners, or becomes disabled or is disqualified, then within ten days from the date thereof, the Board of Commissioners shall appoint another member in place of the person dying, resigning, becoming disabled, disqualified or failing to notify of acceptance.
(D) Compensation. Each member of the Board of Examiners shall receive compensation for his or her services at a rate established by the Board of Commissioners.
(E) Chairperson of Board; Clerk.
(1) The Board of Examiners shall elect one of its members to serve as Chairperson.
(2) The Board of Examiners shall elect from its membership an individual to serve as Clerk of the Board of Examiners. The Clerk shall attend its meetings and maintain an office journal for the proceedings of the Board.
(F) Meetings; quorum; signatures of Board.
(1) The Board of Examiners shall hold stated periodical meetings at such times as it may prescribe by resolution and shall hold special meetings as the Chairperson or two members may call, upon reasonable notice.
(2) A majority of the Board of Examiners shall constitute a quorum. All certifications of applicants shall, however, be signed by all three members of the Board of Examiners.
(G) Payment of expenses. The necessary expenses incurred by the Board of Examiners shall, when approved in the manner provided for other city expenditures, be paid out of funds appropriated by the Police and Fire Departments.
(H) Board of Examiners; duties. The Board of Examiners shall examine all applicants for original appointments in the Police and Fire Departments and shall certify the results of each examination to the appointing authority in writing, signed by all members of the Board of Examiners within 14 days after completion of such examination.
(1984 Code, § 33.02) (Ord. O-28-17, passed 11-28-2017)