Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Purpose: The purpose of this Section is to protect the public health and safety arising out of the use of skateboards, roller skates, rollerblades and roller skis within the City; to regulate the use thereof upon public streets and sidewalks; to prohibit the same from parking lots and sidewalks on commercially zoned land; and to provide penalties for violations. Nothing in this Section shall be construed to prohibit the use of a wheelchair or other wheeled devices designed to assist disabled persons on sidewalks or public or private parking lots.
B. Definitions: For the purposes of this Section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this subsection:
ROLLER SKATES/ROLLERBLADES: A wheeled device which is attached to a shoe or designed to be attached to a shoe, which is designed to transport a rider.
ROLLER SKIS: A wheeled, nonmotorized device, which may or may not be secured to the rider's feet or shoes, which is designed to transport a rider.
SKATEBOARD: A wheeled, nonmotorized device, which is not secured to the rider's feet or shoes, which is designed to transport a rider.
C. Prohibited Acts: It shall be unlawful for any person to ride or propel himself/herself upon a skateboard, roller skates, rollerblades or roller skis in any of the following circumstances:
1. On any street or roadway within an area zoned for commercial or industrial use.
2. On any sidewalk or public parking lot, or in any private parking lot which is in a commercially or industrially zoned area.
3. In any area within the City while being pushed, pulled or in any way propelled by any motorized vehicle or by a person on a bicycle.
4. Contrary to the statutory provisions applicable to the operation of bicycles.
5. Upon any roadway where the posted speed limit is in excess of thirty (30) miles per hour.
D. Exemption: The provisions of subsection C2 of this Section shall not prohibit the owner of commercial property from using commercial premises for skateboards, roller skis or roller skates/rollerblades for his/her own use, or for an organized event conducted with the owner's permission.
E. Violations; Penalty: Any person who violates this Section shall be guilty of a petty misdemeanor, punishable as provided in Section 1-4-1 of this Code. (1971 Code § 16-24.1; amd. 2000 Code)