Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Requests for variances shall be considered by the city in accordance with the procedures contained in § 153.029 and the following.
(1) No variance shall be granted for any construction, development, use or activity within any Floodway Area/District that would cause any increase in the BFE.
(2) No variance shall be granted for any construction, development, use or activity within any AE Area/District without floodway that would, together with all other existing and anticipated development, increase the BFE more than one foot at any point.
(3) Except for a possible modification of the regulatory flood elevation requirement involved, no variance shall be granted for any of the other requirements pertaining specifically to development regulated by special permit §§ 153.075 through 153.078 or to development which may endanger human life (§ 153.058).
(4) If granted, a variance shall involve only the least modification necessary to provide relief.
(5) In granting any variance, the city shall attach whatever reasonable conditions and safeguards it considers necessary in order to protect the public health, safety and welfare, and to achieve the objectives of this chapter.
(6) Whenever a variance is granted, the city shall notify the applicant in writing that:
(a) The granting of the variance may result in increased premium rates for flood insurance; and/or
(b) Such variances may increase the risks to life and property.
(7) In reviewing any request for a variance, the city shall consider, at a minimum, the following:
(a) There is good and sufficient cause;
(b) Failure to grant the variance would result in exceptional hardship to the applicant; and
(c) The granting of the variance will:
1. Neither result in an unacceptable or prohibited increase in flood heights, additional threats to public safety, or extraordinary public expense; nor
2. Create nuisances, cause fraud on, or victimize the public or conflict with any other applicable state or local ordinances and regulations.
(8) A complete record of all variance requests and related actions shall be maintained by the city. In addition, a report of all variances granted during the year shall be included in the annual report to FEMA.
(B) Notwithstanding any of the above, however, all structures shall be designed and constructed so as to have the capability of resisting the 1% annual chance flood.
(Ord. 1534, passed 3-3-2014)