Skip to code content (skip section selection)
No person shall occupy or let to another for occupancy any dwelling or dwelling unit, for the purpose of living therein, which does not comply with the following requirements.
(A) Every dwelling unit shall contain at least 150 square feet of floor space for the first occupant thereof, and at least 100 additional square feet for every additional occupant thereof, the floor space to be calculated on the basis of total habitable room area.
(B) In every dwelling unit of two or more rooms, every room occupied for sleeping purposes by one occupant shall contain at least 60 square feet of floor space, and every room occupied for sleeping purposes by more than one occupant shall contain at least 40 square feet of floor space for each occupant thereof.
(C) No dwelling or dwelling unit containing two or more sleeping rooms shall have such room arrangements that access to a bathroom or water closet compartment intended for use by occupants of more than one sleeping room can be had only by going through another sleeping room; nor shall room arrangements by such that access to a sleeping room can be had only by going through another sleeping room or a bathroom or water closet compartment.
(D) At least one-half of the floor area of every habitable room shall have a ceiling height of at least seven feet, and the floor area of that part of any room where the ceiling height is less than five feet shall not be considered as part of the floor areas in computing the total floor area of the room for the purpose of determining the maximum permissible occupancy thereof.
(E) (1) No cellar space shall be used as a habitable room or dwelling unit.
(2) The total of window area in each room shall be in accordance with § 150.61.
(F) No basement space shall be used as a habitable room or dwelling unit unless:
(1) The floor and walls are impervious to leakage of underground and surface runoff water and are insulated against dampness;
(2) The total of window area in each room is equal to at least the minimum window area sizes as required in § 150.61(A);
(3) Such required minimum window area is located entirely above the grade of the ground adjoining such window area; and
(4) The total of openable window area in each room is equal to at least the minimum as required under § 150.61(B), except where there is supplied some other device affording adequate ventilation and approved by the Housing Officer.
(Ord. 1060, passed 5-16-1966; Ord. 1273, passed 5-4-1981) Penalty, see § 150.99