§ 150.55  DEFINITIONS.
   For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning. Whenever the words “dwelling”, “dwelling unit”, “rooming house”, “rooming unit” or “premises” are used in this subchapter, they shall be construed as though they were followed by the words “or any part thereof”.
   BASEMENT. A portion of a building located partly underground, but having less than half its clear floor-to-ceiling height below the average grade of the adjoining ground.
   CELLAR. A portion of a building located partly or wholly underground and having half or more than half of its clear floor-to-ceiling height below the average grade of the adjoining ground.
   DWELLING. Any building which is wholly or partly used or intended to be used for living or sleeping by human occupants; provided, that temporary housing as hereinafter defined shall not be regarded as a DWELLING.
   DWELLING UNIT. Any room or group of rooms located within a dwelling and forming a single habitable unit with facilities which are used or intended to be used for living, sleeping, cooking and eating.
   ENERGY EFFICIENT BUILDING. A building which was originally designed or which has been remodeled to include special provisions for heating and ventilating which by their nature do not function properly with windows that are opened for ventilation.
   EXTERMINATION. The control and elimination of insects, rodents or other pests by eliminating their harborage places; by removing or making inaccessible materials that may serve as their food; by poisoning, spraying, fumigating or trapping; or by other recognized and legal pest elimination methods approved by the Housing Officer.
   GARBAGE. The animal and vegetable waste remaining from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
   HABITABLE ROOM. A room or enclosed floor space used or intended to be used for living, sleeping, cooking or eating purposes, excluding bathrooms, water closet compartments, laundries, pantries, foyers or communicating corridors, closets and shortage spaces.
   HOUSING COMMITTEE. Such committee as may be designated by the City Council for the purpose of conducting hearings for violation of this subchapter.
   HOUSING OFFICER. The legally designated Housing Officer of the City of Corry, or his or her authorized representative. His or her authorized representative may be the County Department of Health if so designated by the city.
   INFESTATION. The presence within or around a dwelling of any insects, rodents or other pests.
   MULTIPLE DWELLING. Any dwelling containing more than two dwelling units.
   OCCUPANT. Any person over one year of age, living, sleeping, cooking or eating in, or having actual possession of a dwelling unit or rooming unit.
   OPERATOR. Any person who has charge, care or control of a building or part thereof, in which dwelling units or rooming units are let.
   ORDINARY MINIMUM WINTER CONDITIONS. The temperature 15°F above the lowest recorded temperature for the previous ten-year period.
   OWNER. Any person who alone or jointly, or severally with others:
      (1)   Shall have legal title to any dwelling or dwelling unit, with or without accompanying actual possession thereof; or
      (2)   Shall have charge, care or control of any dwelling or dwelling unit, as owner or agent of the owner or as executor, executrix, administrator, administratrix, trustee or guardian of the estate of the owner. Any such person thus representing the actual OWNER shall be bound to comply with the provisions of this subchapter, and of rules and regulations adopted pursuant thereto, to the same extent as if he or she were the owner.
   PERSON. Any individual, firm, corporation, association or partnership.
   PLUMBING. All the following supplied facilities and equipment: gas and oil pipes; gas and oil burning equipment; water pipes; garbage disposal units; waste pipes; water closets (toilets); sinks; installed dishwashers; lavatories; bathtubs; shower baths; installed clothes washing machines; catch basins; drains; vents; and any other similar supplied fixtures, together with all connections to water, sewer, gas or oil lines.
   ROOMING HOUSE. Any dwelling or that part of any dwelling containing one or more rooming units, in which space is let by the owner or operator to three or more persons who are not husband or wife, son or daughter, mother or father, or sister or brother of the owner or operator.
   ROOMING UNIT. Any group of rooms forming a single habitable unit used or intended to be used for living and sleeping, but not for cooking or eating purposes.
   RUBBISH. Combustible and non-combustible waste materials, except garbage, and the term shall include the residue from the burning of wood, coal, coke and other combustible material, paper, rags, cartons, boxes, wood, excelsior, rubber, leather, tree branches, yard trimmings, tin cans, metals, mineral matter, glass crockery and dust.
   SUPPLIED. Paid for, furnished or provided by or under the control of the owner or operator.
   TEMPORARY HOUSING. Any tent, trailer or other structure used for human shelter which is designated to be transportable and which is not attached to the ground to another structure, or to any utilities system on the same premises for more than 30 consecutive days.
   UNDERGROUND BUILDING. A building, or portion of a building, which was originally designed to be all or partially underground and which includes at least one area where the roof system is beneath the surface of the ground.
(Ord. 1060, passed 5-16-1966; Ord. 1066, passed 9-19-1966; Ord. 1273, passed 5-4-1981)