Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Excepted from the prohibition set forth in § 95.01 are:
(1) Above-ground tanks or containers not exceeding 500 gallons in capacity used for the containing, holding or storage of fuel oil or propane gas for household purposes only;
(2) Overhead tanks or above-ground tanks or containers erected or constructed for the purpose of containing, holding or storage of propane gas to be used as auxiliary fuel for manufacturing concerns within the city for the purpose of operating their plants or factories;
(3) Above-ground tanks or containers used for the containing, holding or storage of aircraft fuel used for an aircraft service station in the operation of an airport;
(4) Above-ground tanks not exceeding 2,000 gallons in capacity used for containing, holding or storage of gasoline or diesel fuel to be used as fuel for by public utilities, government or government agencies; and
(5) Above-ground tanks not exceeding 2,000 gallons in capacity used for the containing, holding or storage of gasoline or diesel fuel to be used by industrial or commercial businesses, which are conforming uses located in the appropriate industrial or commercial zoning districts.
(B) For all tanks permitted by subsections (2), (3), (4) or (5) above, a fence which will enclose the tank or equipment shall be required where public access to the tank is not otherwise restricted. Nothing in the above subsections (1), (2), (4) or (5) shall be construed to permit the use of above-ground tanks or containers for the containing, holding or storage of fuels for wholesale or retail sales.
(C) Any overhead tanks or above-ground tanks or containers erected or constructed under the exceptions set forth in this section shall be so erected or constructed in compliance with the regulations governing volatile inflammable liquids as adopted by the Fire Marshal Division of the Pennsylvania State Police.
(Ord. 748, passed 8-18-1947; Ord. 1375, passed 12-20-1993) Penalty, see § 95.99