Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Established. The office of City Administrator is created pursuant to 11 Pa.C.S. §§ 10101 et seq., as amended, known as The Third Class City Code.
(B) Powers and duties. The City Administrator shall possess the following powers and duties:
(1) Be the Chief Administrative Officer of the city responsible to the City Council as a whole for the proper and efficient administration of the affairs of the city;
(2) Direct and supervise the administration of all departments and functions of the city, except as otherwise provided by ordinance or law;
(3) Except as otherwise provided by ordinance or law, appoint city employees on the basis of merit system principles and suspend, remove or otherwise discipline employees, subject to the following:
(a) The City Administrator may make recommendations to Council concerning appointments or removals at the department head level;
(b) Prior to any action being taken with regard to appointments or removals at the department head level, the City Administrator shall confer with Council; and
(c) Council shall confirm appointments or removals at the department head level.
(4) Designate a qualified administrative officer of the city to perform the City Administrator’s duties during the City Administrator’s temporary absence or disability. In the event the City Administrator fails or is unable to make such designation, or if the absence or disability continues more than 30 days, the Council may, by resolution, appoint an officer of the city to perform the duties of the City Administrator during the City Administrator’s absence or disability until the City Administrator is able to return to work;
(5) Negotiate contracts for the city, subject to the approval of City Council, make recommendations concerning the nature and location of municipal improvements and execute municipal improvements as determined by the City Council;
(6) See that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the city or its inhabitants in any statute, franchise or contract are faithfully kept and performed, and upon knowledge of any violation, call the same to the attention of the City Council;
(7) To attend all meetings of the City Council with the right to take part in the discussions, but without the right to vote;
(8) Recommend to the City Council for adoption such measures as the City Administrator may deem necessary or expedient, keep the Council advised of the financial condition of the city and make reports to the Council as requested by it;
(9) Investigate at any time the affairs of any officer or department of the city that is under the City Administrator’s jurisdiction;
(10) Prepare and submit the annual city budget for review and approval by the City Council. The recommended budget shall be submitted to City Council for its review no later than the last stated meeting in November. The budget so submitted shall be accompanied by an enabling ordinance, together with such explanatory comment or statement as the City Administrator may deem desirable. The budget document shall be in such form as is required by law for city budgets, and shall contain such additional documentation or explanation of the various items of expenditure and revenue as may be required by Council; and
(11) Perform the function of Open Records Officer and such other duties as may be designated by the City Council.
(Ord. 1521, passed 10-15-2012)
Authority for City Administrator, see 11 Pa.C.S. §§ 112A00 et seq.