8.04.010: DEFINITIONS:
For the purposes of this chapter, the following terms, phrases and words shall have the following meanings:
ASHES: The residue from the burning of wood, coal or other combustible materials.
BULKY WASTE: Stoves, refrigerators, water tanks, washing machines, furniture and other waste materials other than construction debris, dead animals, hazardous materials or stable matter with weights or volumes greater than those allowed for containers.
CITY: The city of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS: Waste building materials resulting from construction, remodeling, repair or demolition operations.
CONTAINER: A container will be provided by the contractor for each individual level of service. The weight of a container and its contents shall not exceed seventy five (75) pounds.
CONTRACTOR: The person or entity authorized by the city to operate, conduct and maintain a municipal solid waste collection and removal system in the city.
COUNTY: The county of Kootenai, state of Idaho.
DEAD ANIMALS: Animals or portions thereof equal to or greater than ten (10) pounds in weight that have expired from any cause, except those slaughtered or killed for human use.
GARBAGE: Any and all dead animals of less than ten (10) pounds in weight, except those slaughtered for human consumption; every accumulation of waste (animal, vegetable and/or other matter) that results from the preparation, processing, consumption, dealing in, handling, packing, canning, storage, transportation, decay or decomposition of meats, fish, fowl, birds, fruits, grains or other animal or vegetable matter (including, but not by way of limitation, used tin cans and other food containers; and all putrescible or easily decomposable waste animal or vegetable matter which is likely to attract flies or rodents); except (in all cases) any matter included in the definition of "bulky waste", "construction debris", "dead animals", "hazardous materials", "rubbish" or "stable matter".
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS: Any chemical, compound, mixture, substance or article which is designated by the United States environmental protection agency or appropriate agency of the state to be "hazardous" as that term is defined by or pursuant to federal or state law.
MANDATORY: Every resident or owner within the city is required to use the collection and disposal system established by the city.
PERSON: Any individual, partnership, association, firm, corporation, public agency or any other legal entity.
PREMISES: Land and all buildings and structures thereon, including, but not limited to, single-family or multi-family dwellings, rooming house, apartment houses, hospitals, nursing and convalescent homes, hotels, motels, restaurants, drive-in establishments, schools, kindergartens and any other place of habitation, office, shop or establishment or place of conducting a business, trade, profession or occupation.
RECYCLABLE MATERIALS: Products, including paper, cardboard, metal, glass or other substance capable of being reprocessed into consumer materials, which have served the purpose for which they were originally manufactured or produced and have passed through their end usage as consumer items, and which have been discarded or placed for collection by their owner, whether or not such products have monetary value.
REFUSE: All putrescible and nonputrescible solid waste, except sewage, including garbage and rubbish.
RESIDENT OR OWNER: Every person, including lessees and occupants, in possession, charge, custody or control of any premises, residential or commercial, where solid waste is created or accumulated.
RESIDENTIAL UNIT: A dwelling within the corporate limits of the city occupied by a person or group of persons comprising not more than one family. A residential unit shall be deemed occupied when either water or domestic power services are being supplied thereto. Duplexes shall be considered as two (2) separate residential units. All other multi-family dwellings shall be considered as commercial accounts. Condominium units shall be billed as either residential or commercial, depending on the type of water service provided (single or multiple meters).
RUBBISH: All waste wood, wood products, tree trimmings, grass cuttings, dead plants, weeds, leaves, dead trees or branches thereof, chips, shavings, sawdust, printed matter, paper, pasteboard, rags, straw, used and discarded mattresses, used and discarded shoes and boots, combustible waste pulp and other products such as are used for packaging, or wrapping crockery and glass, ashes, cinders, floor sweepings, glass, mineral or metallic substances and any and all other waste materials not included in the definition of "bulky waste", "construction debris", "dead animals", "garbage", "hazardous materials" or "stable matter".
SEWAGE: Water carried wastes from residences, commercial or industrial establishments, business buildings and other premises, containing polluted matter subject to treatment at the sewage treatment plant.
SOLID WASTE: Any ashes, garbage, refuse or rubbish or any combination thereof.
STABLE MATTER: All manure and other waste matter normally accumulated in or about a stable, or any animal, livestock or poultry enclosure and resulting from the keeping of animals, poultry or livestock.
TRASH: Any matter defined herein as "bulky waste", "construction debris", "dead animals", "hazardous materials", "rubbish", or "stable matter", or any other refuse except that falling within the definition of "garbage" as that term is defined herein. (Ord. 3116A §1, 2003: Ord. 2967 §1, 2000: Ord. 1736 §1, 1982: Ord. 1678 §1, 1981: Ord. 1463 §1(1), 1976)