Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Building permits shall be issued in accordance with the following provisions.
(A) Building permits required. No building or other structure shall be erected, moved, added to, or structurally altered without a permit issued by the Building Inspector. No building permit shall be issued except in conformity with the provisions of this chapter, except after written orders from the Board of Adjustments.
(B) Application for building permits. All applications for building permits shall be accompanied by:
(1) A completed application form, provided by the Building Inspector;
(2) An approved zoning permit;
(3) The required fee for a building permit, as provided for in the Appendix of this chapter, as well as in Chapter 150 of this title; and
(4) An approved development plan or site plan, if required by this chapter; or
(5) Plans in duplicate approved by the administrative official and including any additional information required by the Building Code and/or Building Inspector, as may be necessary to determine conformance with, and provide for the enforcement of, the Building Code and the state statutes.
(C) Issuance of building permit.
(1) The Building Inspector shall either approve or disapprove the application. If disapproved, one copy of the submitted plans shall be returned to the applicant marked “disapproved” and shall indicate the reasons for such disapproval thereon. Such disapproval shall be attested by the Building Inspector’s signature. The other copy, similarly marked, shall be retained by the Building Inspector.
(2) If approved, one copy of the submitted plans shall be returned to the applicant marked “approved.” Such approval shall be attested by the Building Inspector’s signature. The other copy, similarly marked, shall be retained by the Building Inspector. The Building Inspector shall also issue a building permit to the applicant at this time and shall retain a duplicate copy for his or her records.
(D) Compliance. It shall be unlawful to issue a building permit, or occupancy permit, to build, create, erect, change, alter, convert, or occupy any building or structure hereafter, unless a zoning permit has been issued in compliance with this chapter.
(E) Building permits issued prior to the adoption of this chapter. Building permits issued in conformance with the Building Code of the legislative body prior to the date of adoption of this chapter, whether consistent or inconsistent with this chapter, shall be valid for a period of 180 consecutive calendar days from time of issuance of the permit. If construction in connection with such a permit has not been started within such a 180 consecutive calendar day period, the permit shall be void and a new permit, consistent with all provisions of this chapter and the Building Code, shall be required. For purposes of this section, construction shall be deemed to have been started at the time of completion of the foundation.
(F) Expiration of the building permit.
(1) If the work described in any building permit has not begun within 90 consecutive calendar days from the date of issuance thereof, said permit shall expire and be canceled by the Building Inspector and no construction shall be permitted until a new building permit has been obtained, except, an extension may be permitted if sufficient evidence can be demonstrated why the work described in the building permit was not begun.
(2) For purposes of this section, construction shall be deemed to have been started at the time of completion of the foundation. If after the work described in the building permit has been started, the building permit shall expire after a period of 18 months, providing that an extension may be permitted if sufficient evidence can be demonstrated why the work described in the building permit was not completed as herein specified.
(G) Construction and use. To be as provided in applications, plans, permits, zoning permits, and building permits, issued on the basis of plans and applications, approved by the administrative official and/or Building Inspector, authorize only the use, arrangement, and construction set forth in such approved plans and applications, and no other use, arrangement, or construction. Use, arrangement, or construction at variance with that authorized shall be deemed in violation of this chapter and punishable as provided in § 153.999 of this chapter.
(H) Transfers of building permits. Building permit transfers shall not be allowed unless approved on a case by case basis by the administrative official. Permit holders wishing to transfer a permit must make a request in writing describing the circumstances of the request.
(Ord. 2021-153, passed - -) Penalty, see § 153.999