Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The Board of Zoning Appeals established. Town Council herein establishes a Board of Zoning to be administered by the town’s (BZA) Board of Zoning Appeals.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.1)
(B) Powers and duties. The Board of Zoning Appeals shall be subject to the requirements of and perform all of the duties and responsibilities set out in the advisory planning law of the state.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.8)
(C) Organization. The BZA Commission will be controlled by a board of five members.
(1) Three citizen members shall be appointed by the President of the Town Council of whom one must be a member of the Plan Commission, and two must not be members of the Planning Commission.
(2) One citizen member shall be appointed by the Town Council and not a member of the Plan Commission.
(3) One member shall be appointed by the Plan Commission from the Plan Commission’s membership who must be a county agricultural agent or a citizen member of the Plan Commission other than the member appointed under division (C)(1).
(D) Terms of office.
(1) Each new appointment shall be for a term of four years that are staggered for consistencies of the Board.
(2) Each term expires on January 1, after serving their four-year appointment, or until his or her successor is appointed and qualified.
(3) The Board member shall reside in the town limits while serving.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.3)
(E) Vacancies. If a vacancy occurs among the members of the BZA, the appointing authority shall appoint a member for the unexpired term of the vacating member.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.4)
(F) Conflicts of interest. A member of the BZA may not participate in a hearing or decision of the Board concerning a zoning matter in which he or she has a direct or indirect financial interest.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.5)
(G) Quorum. A quorum consists of a majority of the entire membership of the BZA.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.6)
(H) Official action. Action of the BZA is not official unless authorized by a majority of the entire membership of the Board.
(Prior Code, § 2-37.7)
(I) Annual meeting. The BZA, in January, shall hold an annual meeting for the purposes of organization. At the annual meeting, the members shall select a President, Vice President and Secretary.
(Ord. 2008-16, passed 10-14-2008)