Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Open Space: Each principal building of a residential complex shall be separated from other principal buildings in the complex by an open space of not less than twenty five feet (25') in width.
B. Side Yard Reduction: On R-1, R-2, and R-3 residential lots of record platted on or before January 3, 1963, having a width less than required by this title, the side yard may be reduced as follows:
1. One side yard may be reduced to not less than ten percent (10%) of the lot width.
2. The sum of both side yards may be reduced to not less than twenty three percent (23%) of the lot width.
3. On corner lots, only the interior side yard may be reduced below eight feet (8').
C. Issuance Of Permits And Certificates: On any lots of record platted on or before September 7, 2000, under a community unit plan as approved by the Clive city council, building permits and certificates of zoning compliance may be issued even though the use of land, building setbacks, lot areas and building height do not conform in all respects to the district regulations as required in this title. Bulk regulations for the individual platted lots of record shall comply with the specific requirements within the approved community unit plan.
D. Attached Garage: Each dwelling unit located within an R-1, R-2, R-4 or R-5 district shall have a minimum two (2) car attached garage.
E. Enclosed Parking Area: Each dwelling unit located within an R-3 district shall have a minimum one car enclosed (detached, attached, underground) area per unit. Carports shall not be considered as an acceptable covered area. (Ord. 876, 1-17-2008)
F. Dwelling Occupant Load: The maximum permitted occupant load within a dwelling unit in any residential district shall not exceed the following:
Maximum Occupant Load
At least 70 sq. ft. but less than 120 sq. ft.
1 per room
120 sq. ft. to 180 sq. ft.
2 per room
180 sq. ft. or more
3 per room
At least 70 sq. ft.
1 per room, not more than 2 per dwelling unit
For the purposes of this section, a "bedroom" is defined as a space primarily designed and intended for use as a sleeping room which shall include all of the following characteristics:
1. A room with a minimum floor area of seventy (70) square feet of area that is capable of being secured by a door.
2. A room with an enclosed closet space of a minimum floor area of six (6) square feet.
3. A room with the provisions for emergency escape and natural light in accordance with the adopted version of the international residential code or international building code as applicable for the dwelling type.
For the purposes of this section, a multipurpose room may include a living room, den, study, or other similar room that by design or layout is not primarily intended to be used as a bedroom, but that is otherwise habitable and provides accommodations for sleeping such as a bed, daybed, couch, futon or other similar multipurpose sleeping furniture. (Ord. 967, 9-6-2012)