Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Backflow Prevention Device:
(1) Compliance Required: All plumbing installed within the Village or to any customer on the potable water system, shall be installed in accordance with the Illinois Plumbing Code, 77 Illinois Administrative Code 890.
(2) Backflow Prevention Device Required; Notice: If in accordance with the Illinois Plumbing Code or in the judgement of the Director of Public Works or his/her designee or an authorized agent, an approved backflow prevention device is necessary for the safety of the public water supply system, the Director of Public Works or his/her designee will give notice to the water customer to install such an approved device immediately.
(3) Installation Of Device: The water customer shall, at his own expense, install such an approved device at a location and in a manner in accordance with the Illinois Plumbing Code, Illinois Environmental Protection Agency and all applicable local regulations.
(4) Testing; Maintenance Of Records: The water customer shall have inspections and tests made of such approved devices upon installation and annually thereafter, at a minimum. The owner of the premises shall maintain records to document that testing, servicing and repairs are conducted as required. A copy of the test records shall be submitted to the Department of Public Works annually.
B. Connection Of Additional Water Supply: No person, firm or corporation shall establish or permit to be established or maintained any connection whereby a private, auxiliary or emergency water supply other than the regular public water supply of the Village enters the supply or distribution system of said Municipality, unless such private, auxiliary or emergency water supply and the method of connection and use of such supply shall have been approved by the Director of Public Works or his/her designee and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
C. Surveys And Investigations:
(1) Duty Of Director Of Public Works: It shall be the duty of the Director of Public Works to cause surveys and investigations to be made of industrial, commercial and other properties served by the public water supply to determine whether actual or potential hazards to the public water supply may exist.
(2) Frequency Of Surveys And Investigations: Such surveys and investigations shall be made a matter of public record and shall be repeated at least every two (2) years, or sooner if the Director of Public Works shall deem necessary.
(3) Maintenance Of Records: Records of such surveys shall be maintained and available for review for a period of at least five (5) years.
D. Right Of Entry:
(1) Inspection: The approved cross-connection device inspector shall have the right to enter at any reasonable time any property served by a connection to the public water supply distribution system of Village public water system for the purpose of verifying the presence or absence of cross-connection, and that the Director of Public Works or his/her authorized agent shall have the right to enter at any reasonable time any property served by a connection to the public water supply or distribution system of the Village public water system for the purpose of verifying information submitted by the customer regarding the required cross-connection control inspection.
(2) Request For Information: On demand, the owner, lessee or occupants of any property so served shall furnish to the Director of Public Works any information which he may request regarding the piping systems or water use on such property. The refusal of such information, when demanded, shall within the discretion of the Director of Public Works, be deemed evidence of the presence of improper connections as provided in this chapter.
E. Discontinuance Of Service:
(1) Violation; Notice Of Discontinuance: The Director of Public Works or his/her designee of the Village public water supply is hereby authorized and directed to discontinue, after reasonable notice to the occupant thereof, the water service to any property wherein any connection in violation of the provisions of this chapter is known to exist, and to take such other precautionary measures as he may deem necessary to eliminate any danger of contamination of the public water supply distribution mains.
(2) Restoration Of Service; Reconnection Fee: The water service to such property shall not be restored until such conditions have been eliminated or corrected in compliance with the provisions of this chapter, and until a reconnection fee in accordance with section S9.11 of this Code is paid to the Village.
(3) Immediate Disconnection: Immediate disconnection with verbal notice can be effected when the Director of Public Works or his/her designee is assured that imminent danger of harmful contamination of the public water supply system exists. Such action shall be followed by written notification of the cause of disconnection. Immediate disconnection without notice to any party can be effected to prevent actual or anticipated contamination or pollution of the public water supply, provided that, in the reasonable opinion of the Director of Public Works or his/her designee or the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, such action is required to prevent actual or potential contamination or pollution of the public water supply.
(4) Liability: The Village of Clarendon Hills, its officials, employees, or its agents shall not be liable to any customer for any injury, damages or lost revenues which may result from termination of said customer's water supply in accordance with the terms of this chapter, whether or not said termination was with or without notice.
F. Customer Responsibility: The customer responsible for back siphoned material or contamination through backflow, if contamination of the potable water supply system occurs through an illegal cross-connection or an improperly installed, maintained or repaired device, or a device which has been bypassed, must bear all cost of cleanup of the potable water supply system, including but not limited to all materials, supplies, contract services and professional fees.
G. Cross-Connection Control Manual Adopted: The Clarendon Hills Cross Connection Control Manual and amendments thereto is hereby adopted in its entirety and by its reference is made a part hereof.
H. Fees: Fees for installation, alterations, repairs or other work involving this section shall be as specified in schedule S9 of this Code and in accordance with those fees set forth in plumbing schedule S23 of this Code. (Ord. 18-03-05)