Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Appointment; Restrictions: The Village Clerk shall have the authority to appoint one Deputy Village Clerk to discharge the functions and duties of the Office of Village Clerk, who need not be a resident of the Village; provided, however, that no such appointment shall be made unless and until funding for the Deputy Village Clerk position described in this subsection has been approved by the Village Board in the fiscal year budget for the year of any such proposed appointment. The Deputy Village Clerk position identified in this subsection shall be a part time, nonexempt position in Village service, or be a full time, nonexempt position undertaken by a current employee whose duties in Village service are combined with the duties of Deputy Village Clerk.
B. Additional Deputy Village Clerks: For administrative convenience and to provide better service to the general public, the Village Clerk shall have the authority to appoint other Deputy Village Clerks, in addition to the Deputy Clerk described in subsection A of this section. Such additional Deputy Village Clerks need not be residents of the Village, but shall be current employees of the Village, and shall discharge certain functions and duties of the Office of the Village Clerk without any compensation other than their budgeted salary as a Village employee, regardless of whether they are a full time, exempt/salaried employee, a full time, nonexempt/hourly employee or a part time, nonexempt/hourly employee.
C. Duties: The Deputy Village Clerk, as described in subsection A of this section, under the general supervision of the Village Clerk and Village Manager, shall:
(1) Maintain custody of all village records;
(2) Publish and post notices of all public meetings and copies of resolutions and ordinances adopted by the village board when appropriate or directed;
(3) Maintain the corporate seal and certify the authenticity of all copies of village documents;
(4) Serve as local registrar of all vital statistics kept by the village;
(5) Attend meetings of the village president and board of trustees when the village clerk is unavailable and keep a record of their proceedings;
(6) Register voters;
(7) Receive developer escrow application fees; and
(8) Perform such additional functions or duties as assigned from time to time by the village clerk or village manager. (Ord. 15-04-27)