Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Office Established: There is hereby established the office of village manager of the village.
B. Appointment: The village manager shall be appointed by the village president, with the advice and consent of the board of trustees. The village manager shall be appointed on the basis of executive and administrative qualifications without regard to political beliefs. The village manager need not be a resident of the village while in office, but residency proximate to the village shall be preferred.
C. Compensation: The village manager shall receive such compensation as the village board shall fix from time to time.
D. Powers And Duties: The village manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the village. The village manager shall be responsible to the village board for the proper administration of all departments and of all the affairs of the village. To that end, the village manager shall have the authority and shall be required to:
(1) Enforce all laws and ordinances of the village.
(2) Attend all meetings of the village board. The village manager shall have the right to take part in the discussion of all matters coming before the board but shall have no right to vote. The village manager shall be notified of all special and regular meetings of the board.
(3) Investigate complaints concerning utility operations and see that all permits, privileges and franchises granted by the Village are faithfully performed.
(4) Hire, discipline and terminate all employees, excepting those principal appointive officers identified in subsection 4.4A of this chapter, upon such terms as shall, in the Village Manager's judgment, be reasonable and consistent with the Village's Personnel Code. This authority shall include the authority of the Village Manager to hire, or terminate individual employees and to delegate portions of this authority to appropriate department heads, subject to the Village Manager's review and approval prior to any final action.
(5) Exercise administrative control of all departments and divisions thereof now in existence or that may hereafter be created by the Village Board.
(6) Recommend to the Village Board a standard schedule of pay for each appointive office and position in the Village service.
(7) Investigate the affairs of the Village or any department thereof and investigate all complaints in relation to matters concerning the administration or the government of the Village and in regard to service maintained by the public utilities in the Village, and make such recommendations to the Village Board as may be appropriate based on the results of such investigation. (Ord. 15-04-27)
(8) Purchase all materials, supplies, and equipment for which funds are provided in the budget. The Village Manager may not purchase any item which exceeds any budget appropriation without consent of the Board of Trustees. For purchases in excess of twenty five thousand dollars ($25,000.00), the Village Manager shall comply with the provisions of chapter 5 of this Code. The Village Manager may issue rules and regulations governing purchases and requisitions and the transaction of the business of purchasing, subject to approval by the Village Board. In case of accident or other circumstances creating an emergency, the Village Manager may, without the consent of the Board, award contracts and make purchases for the purpose of repairing damages caused by the accident or meeting the public emergency, but shall promptly file with the Village Board a certificate showing such emergency and the necessity of such action, together with an itemized account of all expenditures. (Ord. 15-04-27; amd. Ord. 17-11-24)
(9) Prepare or cause to be prepared and submit to the Village Board, promptly upon the end of the fiscal year, a complete report of the finances and administrative activities of the Village for the preceding year.
(10) Keep a current inventory showing all real and personal property of the Village and its location, and be responsible for the care and custody of all such property including equipment, buildings, and all other Village property which is not by law assigned to some other officer or body for care and control.
(11) Devote full time to the discharge of the official duties of the Village Manager.
(12) Approve the appointments, promotions, demotions, suspensions and dismissals of all paid on call members of the Fire Department as recommended by the Fire Chief.
(13) Perform such other lawful duties as may be required by the Village President and Board of Trustees.
E. Contracts: The Village Manager shall examine all proposed contracts to which the Village may be a party and may sign on behalf of the Village any contract authorized by the Village Board except when the Village Board directs that some other officer or officers shall do so. It shall be the duty of the Village Manager to see to it that all terms of any contract to which the Village is a party are fully performed by all parties thereto. The Village Manager shall not be financially interested directly or indirectly in any contract, work or business of the Village or in the sale of any article to the Village or in the purchase of any property belonging to the Village or sold for taxes or assessments or sold by virtue of legal process at the suit of the Village.
F. Office: The Village Manager shall maintain an office in the Village Hall.
G. Additional Duties: The Village Manager shall from time to time make recommendations to the Village President and Board of Trustees, or the appropriate committee, relative to the adoption of such ordinances and resolutions or other legislative actions as the Village Manager may deem necessary or expedient. The Village Manager shall from time to time make reports or recommendations to the Village Board, or to the appropriate committee, relative to the affairs of the Village, as the Village Manager may deem advisable or as the Village President or any committee may request. The Village Manager shall render to the several officers of the Village, and those officers shall render to the Village Manager, all such assistance as is possible in the performance of their respective duties, and all officers and employees of the Village shall furnish and disclose to the Village Manager such oral or written information and materials relating to the affairs of the Village as the Village Manager shall request. (Ord. 15-04-27)