Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Duties: The village president shall have all the powers and perform all the duties as proscribed by state statutes, this code and any other ordinances and regulations of the village, and among other things shall perform the following duties:
(1) Preside at all regular and special meetings of the village board unless unavoidably prevented.
(2) Appoint persons to fill the principal appointive offices of the village pursuant to section 4.4 of this chapter.
(3) Appoint persons to fill vacant seats on the various village boards and commissions pursuant to chapter 3 of this code.
(4) Appoint persons to fill vacant seats in the two (2) village president appointed positions on the firefighters' pension fund board and police pension fund board pursuant to chapter 3 of this code.
(5) Investigate all matters pertaining to the interest of the village, and well being of its residents, and make written or oral report of recommendations to the board of trustees.
B. President Pro Tem: In the event the village president is absent from the metropolitan area for a length of time as would reasonably call for the appointment of a fully empowered replacement, or has a probable physical or mental inability to perform the general functions and duties of the office, and a majority of the village board agree that an emergency exists in the municipality during such a period, then the village trustees may appoint a member of the village board as president pro tem to exercise the duties of the village president until the village president returns or is again capable of performing the duties of office or until such time as the village board revokes such appointment. A president pro tem shall perform the duties and possess all rights and powers of the village president. The president pro tem retains the right to vote in the capacity of trustee.
C. Temporary Chairperson: In the event the village president fails to attend a meeting, and the conditions in subsection B of this section are not met, the village board may select, by a majority of those present, a temporary chairperson. The temporary chairperson shall have only the power of a presiding officer and retains the right to vote in the capacity of trustee. (Ord. 15-04-27)