Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Creation; Composition; Terms: There shall be a board of fire and police commissioners (for purposes of this section, the "board"), as provided by law, which shall consist of three (3) members whose staggered terms shall be for three (3) years. Such members shall be appointed by the village president, by and with the advice and consent of the board of trustees as provided by law.
B. Powers And Duties:
(1) The board shall have the full powers, duties, and authority to select and appoint all full time police officers and firefighters, as provided by Illinois law; provided, however, that the chief of police and the fire chief shall be appointed and removed only by the village board, as prescribed in subsection 4.4I of this code, and exempt positions may be appointed as otherwise provided in this code.
(2) The board shall have the full power, duty and authority to suspend or terminate nonunion and nonexempt police officers, as provided by Illinois law; provided, however, that for organized union police officers, the provisions concerning corrective discipline from the "labor agreement and side letter between the village of Clarendon Hills and the Illinois Fraternal Order Of Police Labor council" with a period ending of April 30, 2016, as amended from time to time or from any successor agreement, as amended from time to time, is incorporated by reference into this code pursuant to the authority of the Illinois public labor relations act1.
(3) The members of the board shall possess the qualifications required of other officers of the village, shall take oath or affirmation of office, and shall give bond in the same manner as other appointive officers of the village. They shall be subject to removal from office in the manner as provided by state statute.
(4) The board may employ a recording secretary or may designate one of its own members to act as such. The secretary shall keep the minutes of the board's proceedings, shall be custodian of all papers pertaining to the business of the board, shall keep a record of all examinations held and perform such other duties as the board shall prescribe.
(5) If the board shall deem it advisable to secure advice or services on technical matters, it may do so upon authority from the village manager or village board, however, the board is authorized to spend for lawful purpose an amount up to its budgetary appropriation, subject to compliance with the purchasing requirements of this code. (Ord. 15-04-26)