Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. The following rules shall apply to public participation at regular, rescheduled, and special meetings of the village board of trustees and the village board of trustees acting as a committee of the whole (hereinafter referred to as "board meetings"):
(1) Public participation at board meetings is encouraged. A period of time after the president's report shall be made available for public comments regarding items not on the meeting agenda (hereinafter referred to as "addresses from the audience - nonagenda items").
(2) A period of time after the recess to committee meetings and before formal actions shall also be available for public comments regarding items on the meeting agenda (hereinafter referred to as "addresses from the audience - agenda items").
(3) A person shall be permitted to speak upon being recognized by the village president or the temporary chairperson. The person shall stand (if possible), state his name, and limit speaking to no more than five (5) minutes, unless additional time is granted by the village president or temporary chairperson.
(4) All speakers shall address their comments to the village president or temporary chairperson. The village president or temporary chairperson may request that the appropriate member of the board or staff respond to the comment.
(5) The village president or temporary chairperson shall preserve order and decorum and shall decide all questions of order.
(6) When addressing the village board, members, administrative officers and other persons permitted to speak shall confine their remarks to the matter at hand and avoid repetitious commentary, personal remarks, the impugning of motives, and merely contentious or disruptive statements.
(7) If any person indulges in remarks as referenced in subsection A(6) of this section, or otherwise engages in conduct injurious to the harmony of the village board and the meeting, the village president or acting chairperson may immediately terminate the opportunity to speak. This decision is at the discretion of the village president or temporary chairperson or upon the affirmative vote of two- thirds (2/3) of the trustees present. Any person, except a member of the village board, who engages in disorderly conduct during a meeting, may be ejected from the village board meeting upon motion passed by a majority of the members of the village board who are present. (Ord. 16-10-33)